DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 06-05-2006, 12:11 PM   #31
wizenpub

No...don't work for Quark but did attend their launch and read Jay Nelson's review on Creative Pro. Also, I'm from Colorado ;-) They're a neat company (now) and I like them personally and wish them success over Adobe's somewhat mean-spirited, Quark-killer juggernaut looking to rule the world. I find Adobe to be getting long in the tooth and a bit tiresome and Microsofty. Whereas Quark is a little hipper and more Apply...even Apple doesn't like Adobe much these days and work closely with Quark and that's why the Universal Binary is already done.
wizenpub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:28 PM   #32
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizenpub
I like them personally and wish them success over Adobe's somewhat mean-spirited, Quark-killer juggernaut looking to rule the world. I find Adobe to be getting long in the tooth and a bit tiresome and Microsofty. Whereas Quark is a little hipper and more Apply . . .
Software companies (and computer platforms) are not exactly the same as sports teams, though we all succumb occasionally, to some extent.

I have been using DTP software since 1986 when PageMaker got hyphenation (and therefore became useful) and it ruled the roost. Then little Quark came along and played underdog. Then XPress ate into PM’s market, especially in graphic design and agency circles, and in a few years common workflows — designer to press — were locked onto XPress, and it appeared that poor PageMaker, now in Adobe’s hands, would be killed off (or worse, turned into an office product). During this time Quark treated its users (and the trade press) rudely. It was hardly the team to cheer for.

Then Adobe picked up the Aldus cudgels and built a brand new app, InDesign; pushed for close user interface and functional compatibility with Photoshop — king of that particular hill — and Illustrator, still struggling with FreeHand. And now Adobe is reviled as the tough bully, king of the hill, and Quark is looking to play the underdog again.

Question is: Has Adobe seized sufficient control of the common workflow to fend off XPress? Or does XPress retain enough stalwarts to build itself up again as the master DTP program?

We all have to tune in tomorrow (and tomorrow and tomorrow) to find out the answer to these questions. If it sounds a bit like a soap opera, from this point of view it is.

Old 06-05-2006, 12:48 PM   #33
wizenpub

We're on the same page. May the best team win or to make it fun...let's have more good teams! After all who wants a super bowl with one team playing?
Old 06-15-2006, 10:51 PM   #34
tphinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizenpub
... the Universal Binary is already done.
But it isn't, it's still in beta testing. If it ships as planned, it will still be out well ahead of Adobe - but quoting it as the #1 thing Quark has that InDesign doesn't seems a bit misleading. Feel free to crow about it in three months or whenever it is that it is actually shipping, though.

T
tphinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:50 AM   #35
wizenpub

Based on previous beta and the close relationship with Apple, it seems like July is highly likely for UB. The beta is "real" and is "out" so that seems in itself to be a worthy achievement. I'm happy to take it off the list until official release as your point is well taken.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #36
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

I'm saving up so I can buy Quark 7 when I get a couple of jobs in that were created in 7. So far this year nearly all jobs have come in as either InDesign, CorelDraw, or Frustrator. Oh, and one Gawd-awful mess created in PageWrecker 6!

I tried Quark 7 for PC a couple of times, and its use of transparency seemed really good. I'd like to know if Quark's tranny suffers from the same problems as InDesign's when you have it, say, above and overlapping some text.
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote