DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 02-23-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.
Default Please tell me this isn't true!

I haven't got InDesign CS yet so I can't verify what my client is telling me, but surely this can't be right. He has to produce both a composite and a separated PDF (either printing via Distiller or exporting as PDF), and he chooses to Distill.

The compo comes out fine: it has crop marks and we use it as a proof both for the screen printers and for Mick our film-maker. We need the sep file to be marked up in a suitable way for him to run out films from Acrobat 6 (crop marks, registration targets, film colour and screen angle, all industry-standard) but InDesign doesn't put the colour name on the output page. Excuse me, but without the colour name, how's the printer meant to know which film is cyan, and which is magenta, for gawd's sake? Every other page layout or design program manages OK - Quack does it, Frustrator does it, so do CorelDawble and ThreeHand. Even bloody PageWrecker can manage it! But UnDecided? Nope. Apparently with the Adobe flagship application, the Quark-killer of 2005 no less, you have to write on the damn films with a felt pen! Tell me this isn't true.

What? Oh, yes please. G & T, plenty of ice. <slurp.> Ah, that's much better, thanyouverymush. Cheers!
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 01:25 PM   #2
Dave Saunders

InDesign does what you tell it to do. If you put page information on the pages when you "print" the seps, you get the plate's color name. If you don't include the page information, it doesn't do it.

Mind you, it's been a while since I did this, but I'm more than 99% sure.

Dave
Dave Saunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 01:27 PM   #3
Richard Hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall
Apparently with the Adobe flagship application, the Quark-killer of 2005 no less, you have to write on the damn films with a felt pen! Tell me this isn't true.
Just to annoy you, PagePlus prints the sep name with the filename etc. in the area between the crop marks. <g>

Richard
Richard Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
Robin Springall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hunt
Just to annoy you...
I reckoned you'd pop up: just wanted to see if you were watching!!
Old 02-23-2005, 01:44 PM   #5
Robin Springall

Ah! I saw that option (I have ID1.5) and he swears he ticked the box but ID didn't print the marks correctly. Do you mind awfully doing a very quick test for me to prove to the designer that it works? Document 118x118mm, bung 4 little rectangles anywhere (one cyan, one magenta, one yellow, and one black), Distill to separated PDF and email it to robin@rpmuk.com Much obliged. In ID1.5 I can get the colour name, but not the angle or screen ruling.

Last edited by Robin Springall; 02-23-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:29 PM   #6
Robin Springall

Many thanks for the file, Dave. It works like v1.5: colour name but no screen angles or line ruling. I'll check with our film maker to see if he's happy with it like this. The designer's native language isn't English, so when I asked if he had ticked the Page Info box I suppose "yes" meant "no"!
Old 02-23-2005, 08:22 PM   #7
Dave Saunders

You're welcome. The screen info isn't really part of the PDF anyway. That's an output setting when you image the PDF.

Dave
Dave Saunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:37 AM   #8
Stephen Owades

I see you've already gotten an answer on the labelling of separated PDFs from InDesign, but I have to wonder why you're making such PDFs in the first place. Modern versions of Acrobat (6 and 7) are capable of generating separations directly from a composite PDF, and of previewing the individual separations on-screen, complete with an indication of ink densities. Why not use a composite PDF and have the printer generate the separated film or plates directly from that? Acrobat 7 even gives you a fair bit of control over spot-to-process conversion, if not everything in the document is straight CMYK already.
Stephen Owades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:55 AM   #9
groucho
Staff

Robin-
There's a quick work-around you can use for any program that isn't giving you sep information when you want it. On the master page, simply type one line of text at the very bottom (or side, etc.) marginal area of the page that reads something like "CYAN MAGENTA YELLOW BLACK" and color each word in the appropriate pure sep color. Then just let the printer know, those are printer's notes and should NOT print when he strips up the pages. Similarly you can add a mark like a + mark that is made in 4-color black, and use that as an extra compositing mark.
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:53 AM   #10
Robin Springall

We do exactly that when we get hold of native files here, but in this case el cliente provided his own PDFs ('coz we haven't yet got UnDecided CS). And, as his English wasn't spectacular, I tried to keep instructions as simple as possible for him! He got it right this morning, but only by me talking him through every single step on the phone!