DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-28-2006, 11:50 PM   #1
Franca
Staff

Default CIS Dialup + Win XP: FYI

I know my husband may be the only person left on the planet who ever uses CIS dial-up (only in travel emergencies, I swear!) but for the past couple of weeks he's been completely unable to connect to CIS via dial-up on his laptop. He phoned me in total frustration today and I tested on the backup laptop, same problem. Tried my desktop, however, and it worked fine - major mystery.

So I called CompuServe tech support - something I avoid whenever possible - but at 10:30 pm there was only about an 8 minute wait to reach a human being who was, fortunately, a thoroughly competent one. Turns out the Windows XP security updates of June 15th stomped on the CIS script required for dial-up! The reason my desktop was unaffected was that by the time we returned from France on the 21st someone had discovered the problem with the updates and pulled them so my desktop was spared. Removing the offending updates via Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs fixed the problem on both laptops.

I wonder what else those June 15th security updates messed with??

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote