DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 02-23-2005, 11:08 AM   #1
BradW
Sysop Emeritus

Default Font used in title

I also need some help with this headline font. I confess that while I looked through the entire Adobe Type Reference (from 1998) for the text font I asked about in the earlier thread, I haven't even started looking for this one.

Brad
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Type Spec 2.pdf (41.3 KB, 160 views)
BradW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:56 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradW
I also need some help with this headline font. I confess that while I looked through the entire Adobe Type Reference (from 1998) for the text font I asked about in the earlier thread, I haven't even started looking for this one.
Boy, beats me. The A is utterly distinctive, but the few faces (closest seems to be Bernhard Modern) I can find with that riser at the top actually look very little like these letters.

But it does appear to be from a font — the smaller letters do not match the larger for weight, for example, which I think a decent lettering artist would take care to do. The swash A seems to come from the italic.

Looks late 19th or early 20th-century in style (from the serifs on the S, especially). But it could have been created yesterday (or ten years ago) by someone possessed by a feverish nostalgia!

Old 02-23-2005, 06:26 PM   #3
tphinney

What KT said, especially wrt the period of the type. But you got me on this one.
tphinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:35 PM   #4
BradW
Sysop Emeritus

Thanks to you and KT for trying. And nice to see you again. (I need to figure out how to attach a picture to my messages, I guess.)

Brad
Old 02-25-2005, 04:38 AM   #5
marlene
Staff

I sent your font sample to Phil's Fonts to see if they could ID it. No luck, but they said it appeared to be an article from the NY Times magazine, and suggested that you contact the art director.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:34 PM   #6
BradW
Sysop Emeritus

Thanks for your assistance. Dunno where it came from, frankly. I just e-mailed the client, summarizing the comments I received here.

And I also changed my nice re-design of that vocabulary book to the seventies-style version the other client requires and fired off a PDF to them.

Brad
Old 02-25-2005, 03:49 PM   #7
marlene
Staff

If you ever find out what the mystery font is, please let us know. Now I'm obsessed with it! <LOL>

Too bad about the vocabulary book. I can remember spending a lot of time redesigning a piece with new typefaces, and the client then telling me to go back to the original style. <grrr> The original piece used Goudy and Engravers Roman, and I was trying to freshen it up a bit.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 06:54 AM   #8
BradW
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene
If you ever find out what the mystery font is, please let us know. Now I'm obsessed with it! <LOL>
Will do. I'm actually going to be talking to that client today, and I'll ask if she found out on her own.

Brad