DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 06-25-2006, 08:30 PM   #11
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
I suspect I have most (some, anyway) of those. It is just that it seems unnatural to me to have to torture lists to do what I want.

Prettiness? Maybe. Or maybe orderliness. Good visual design?
They already "do" what you want. You're merely adding presentation (not behavior).

Quote:
Well, I spent 24 hours trying to put together a site for a friend. Take a look.

And please let me know if things do not work (and what browser is involved). Thanks.
Since you ask... my eternal niggle: don't use an active link to the page you're on - instead make it not a link, as a signal where you are.

Apart from that (and - purely content - some things in unexpected places) it looks fine to me.

Quote:
(And if, by the wildest chance, you felt like taking a holiday in Vermont, this is the very best place.)
Well, it's good to know I won't have to bring my own personal flotation device.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:53 PM   #12
Richard Waller

Not too hapy about having the address as you have it across the top of the page. I did not recognise it as the address, I thought it was where the cottages are. Which it may also be.

Essential to have the address, together with phone and Email, but it would be nice if I could copy and paste it to my address book, or take it and print an envelope.

Books on style tell me that if you list things people don't read the listed items, assuming this is just reference information. Which of course, lists of links are.

Lists <LI> are not the best way of identifying links. Something like a right arrow would be better, then the arrow can be set up as part of the link. Links by themselves are sometimes difficult to identify as links.

I have also been using Style to highlight links on hover
<STYLE TYPE="text/css">a:hover{background-color:aqua;}
</STYLE>

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:21 AM   #13
Bo Aakerstrom

The address looks too much like the nav bar and the directions and info links takes me to the same page. Perhaps there should be a few more pictures.

Otherwise I like the simplicity and subtle colours.

Old 06-26-2006, 03:22 AM   #14
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Waller
Lists <LI> are not the best way of identifying links. Something like a right arrow would be better, then the arrow can be set up as part of the link. Links by themselves are sometimes difficult to identify as links.
But lists are the best way of structuring a menu of links. If you want arrows, that's just very easy to add via a style sheet.

Don't forget the difference between structure and presentation, Richard!

Old 06-26-2006, 04:39 AM   #15
dthomsen8

Default Took a look

Quote:
Well, I spent 24 hours trying to put together a site for a friend. Take a look.

And please let me know if things do not work (and what browser is involved). Thanks.

::
You can fix "Blueberry ill" to start, and the links to the PDFs don't work.

Really, I think the result is rather good, considering the limited time you spent on it.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:54 AM   #16
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
You can fix "Blueberry ill" to start, and the links to the PDFs don't work.

Really, I think the result is rather good, considering the limited time you spent on it.
Thank you. The number and extent of the typos is humiliating, but I will get to them. Have to look for the Blueberry problem; already spotted one with cherry (as in tomatoes).

Now she needs to make big decisions about content and arrangement. Gives me tiime to fix some of the little problems that glare out at me every time I look. Dunno why they couldn’t declare themselves yesterday! <g>

I don’t have the PDFs on my test server; guess I should add them, just to make sure things are working. Thanks.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:02 AM   #17
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
They already "do" what you want. You're merely adding presentation (not behavior).
Point taken. You made the best case by pointing out that using a list makes the items intelligible even without the CSS.

Quote:
Since you ask... my eternal niggle: don't use an active link to the page you're on - instead make it not a link, as a signal where you are.
How “not a link” — just remove the anchor altogether (but leave the title)? That sounds simple enough. I’ll try it.

Quote:
Apart from that (and - purely content - some things in unexpected places) it looks fine to me.

Well, it's good to know I won't have to bring my own personal flotation device.
She has to sort out the content, fortunately. I just typed up copy from her print brochure and sort of threw it in batches at the pages!

Yeah, I was relieved to see that as well!

Old 06-26-2006, 06:12 AM   #18
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Thanks, Richard. That is the location of the cottages (as well as the mail address). I think we need to rethink that line altogether, as it is repeated elsewhere, in context.

The phone number is a problem, as the proprietor is deaf and uses a special service. In addition, she summers in Vermont and winters elsewhere. So phone numbers take some explaining — I cannot just drop a simple number on every page.

Marjolein has persuaded me of the wisdom of using a list for links (which I have done for years, anyway): the UL/LI makes them intelligible even if the viewer is not using the stylesheet.

I have used hover for various changes, but usually don’t highlight the link (change its color, usually).

Thanks.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:16 AM   #19
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Aakerstrom
The address looks too much like the nav bar and the directions and info links takes me to the same page. Perhaps there should be a few more pictures.

Otherwise I like the simplicity and subtle colours.
Yeah, I see that I messed up some of the links. Definitely will fix that.

I think there are several problems with the address (the one beneath the name of the place). Not sure how it looks too much like the nav bar, but it has some problems, that’s for sure. May need to remain, though.

We definitely need some more pictures — as it stands it is hard to visualize the rustic quality of this place. It sounds too fancy, which it definitely is not. Although I really love it. Some of our best vacations were spent there.

Thanks for looking.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:34 AM   #20
iamback

Quote:
How “not a link” — just remove the anchor altogether (but leave the title)? That sounds simple enough. I’ll try it.
Yes, indeed. You could add a different (non-link) color as well, and if links get highlighted, don't highlight the "current page" item. Different behavior, really (or rather, non-behavior as opposed to behavior). Oh, and if you add a hover effect (for links, or whatever else) with the :hover pseudoclass you can add the same effect for keyboard users (in modern browsers) by adding the same style to :focus for the same selector. Cheap accessibility bonus. ;-)

BTW, I think the address looks like "more menu" because of the vertical lines between the parts - try changing that to ordinary commas and I think the effect will disappear.

Do you really need any content feedback, or wait till you have more of it?