DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 06-25-2006, 07:56 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Lists for nav — semantic logic?

What is the semantic rationale for using UL/LI for navigation?

Does it enhance the importance of the nav elements in the sensors of the search engine robots if these elements are placed in a list instead of, say, a regular paragraph (P), or several of them?

I wonder about this as I go through once again the steps of distorting LIST to make it do what I want for a navigation bar: disable its markers, remove its decoration so I can use my own border, struggle with margin/padding, etc.

So I wondered if there is a reason. The generally brilliant guy on AListApart says, more or less, that this is a list so it ought to be treated as one. Is there a more substantial reason?

Old 06-25-2006, 10:03 AM   #2
Bo Aakerstrom

I've never come across anyone who has got a better answer that saying it is a list therefore we should treat it as such, but as we have to make an effort to disguise it when using it as a navigation bar, it seems like a lot of work for no apparent reason.

It will be interesting to hear from others who knows more than I do!

Old 06-25-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
dthomsen8

Default Structure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel

Does it enhance the importance of the nav elements in the sensors of the search engine robots if these elements are placed in a list instead of, say, a regular paragraph (P), or several of them?

I wonder about this as I go through once again the steps of distorting LIST to make it do what I want for a navigation bar: disable its markers, remove its decoration so I can use my own border, struggle with margin/padding, etc.

So I wondered if there is a reason. The generally brilliant guy on AListApart says, more or less, that this is a list so it ought to be treated as one. Is there a more substantial reason?
Semantic rationale? I am not sure what that is.

The essence to me is that the structure of a list corresponds with the structure of the navigation menu, and being pragmatic, it works. I don't see how the tag <p> for a paragraph is going to make for a structure, even as it is repeated.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Aakerstrom
I've never come across anyone who has got a better answer that saying it is a list therefore we should treat it as such, but as we have to make an effort to disguise it when using it as a navigation bar, it seems like a lot of work for no apparent reason.
That’s about where I am.

I have once again wrestled it to the mat, but I do find myself trying to understand why.

Old 06-25-2006, 10:57 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
Semantic rationale? I am not sure what that is.
Meaning: Does using LI contribute more to meaning than using some other sort of element.

When I was an ignorant and happy child, I used to set up horizontal navigation like this, using P:
| home | whatever | more of it | something else | contact |
No problem with making it work (well, I couldn’t easily have a different color for the dividers as I can using border-right and all that). Quick as a wink to type.

But then someone — Ian Petersen, I am pretty sure — persuaded me to follow the practice described at AListApart, which of course uses LI for navigation.

Quote:
The essence to me is that the structure of a list corresponds with the structure of the navigation menu, and being pragmatic, it works. I don't see how the tag <p> for a paragraph is going to make for a structure, even as it is repeated.
Oh, yes. It works. But it takes more CSS and more effort.

[having a grumpy Sunday, I guess]

Old 06-25-2006, 01:52 PM   #6
Bo Aakerstrom

The example below is what I'm currently using:

<a class="nav1" href="page1.html" title="page 1">Page 1</a>

Add the class:nolink (without href) for the current page and you're away, and by creating additional classes (nav2, nav3 etc.) you could style each "button" differently if you wanted to.

Why should I need to use a list when I can make it simple?

Old 06-25-2006, 03:42 PM   #7
iamback

Quote:
A menu is a list of items to choose from. As simple as that.

Quote:
Nothing to do with search engines - merely with semantic, structural markup, and accessibility (turn off all stylesheets and you still have a clear structure to navigate from).

Quote:

Those are for adding prettyness and visual usability - after you've created the structural markup. But why "struggle"? Start with a good example or two and take it from there. I have a list of bookmarks, if you're interested.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:44 PM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
A menu is a list of items to choose from. As simple as that.

Nothing to do with search engines . . .

But why "struggle"? Start with a good example or two and take it from there. I have a list of bookmarks, if you're interested.
I suspect I have most (some, anyway) of those. It is just that it seems unnatural to me to have to torture lists to do what I want.

Prettiness? Maybe. Or maybe orderliness. Good visual design?

Well, I spent 24 hours trying to put together a site for a friend. Take a look.

And please let me know if things do not work (and what browser is involved). Thanks.

:::

Any advice appreciated.

(And if, by the wildest chance, you felt like taking a holiday in Vermont, this is the very best place.)

::

Old 06-25-2006, 04:56 PM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

<nit,nit,nit>
You spell "and" a bit oddly here:

"the largest ones sleep five andd are winterized"

and later on the page, "cherry" is misspelled.
</nitnitnit>

Looks fine in Opera.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:32 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
<nit,nit,nit>
You spell "and" a bit oddly here: "the largest ones sleep five andd are winterized"

and later on the page, "cherry" is misspelled.
</nitnitnit>

Looks fine in Opera.
Thanks, Steve. I will pass it on. The copy came mostly from my friend the client (I messed with it a bit).

I thought it was okay for a 48-hour dealie. But she will now undoubtedly make changes to the copy

Glad it looks okay in Opera. Client is hopeless; she uses only CompuServe 4!

I just asked her to download Firefox; let’s see how it goes.