DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
Blickfang
Member
 
Blickfang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 9
Default Layout tips for a »dissertation« [title edited]

Hello all!

I'm new in DTP and just started to play a little bit with »Scribus«, that free DTP-
program available for Linux (and for Windows as well, as I think).

At the moment, I'm writing a paper for school (about 40 pages) with the topic
»Network applications with PHP and MySQL«, and it's not really a »scientific«
one. Since that, I wanted to give it a kind of fresh, modern look . . .

Unfortunately, I didn't succeed. I had some ideas, but all turned out to be horri-
ble when I tried to set them in Scribus.

. . . So, I would be very happy if some one of you could give me some tipps/
advices for a good layout.

============

Besides, I have some concrete questions, too:

I think the traditional 9-division-type-area (sorry, I don't know how it's called
in English) doesn't fit well for a paper, wouldn't a division into more parts be
useful?

Should I use a heading line or not?

I thought about using the fonts »Day Roman« and »Piqiarniq« (since they
seem to be nice free fonts). Do they fit together?

============

Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited by Blickfang; 06-19-2006 at 12:53 PM.
Blickfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
annc
Sysop
 
annc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Posts: 4,436
Default

I do a quarterly magazine for a group of IT school teachers, and use Minion Pro for the body text and subheads, and Myriad Pro for the title, author and school.

The layout is three column ragged-right, which allows some flexibility for photos, diagrams etc. I'll upload a PDF of a dummy article. However, Lorem ipsum doesn't sit like normal English text, so please excuse the oddities.

It's done in InDesign on a Mac, but will maybe give you some ideas.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf quick mockup.pdf (50.4 KB, 153 views)

   
__________________
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:38 PM   #3
Michael Rowley
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ipswich (the one in England)
Posts: 5,105
Default

Ann:

so please excuse the oddities

Such as the full point at the end of a headline?

'Giamcon ut veliquatinci tet veniscidunt lore commy nullumsan hent autat.'

   
__________________
Michael
Michael Rowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:56 PM   #4
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus
 
ElyseC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: southeastern Iowa, in the technology corridor
Posts: 2,190
Default

And the lady on page two is...

   
__________________
Elyse
ElyseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:36 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blickfang
I think the traditional 9-division-type-area (sorry, I don't know how it's called in English) doesn't fit well for a paper, wouldn't a division into more parts be useful?
Can you explain better what you mean? I am not familiar with the “9-division” type area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blickfang
Should I use a heading line or not?
Again, what do you mean? A running head — something that appears on all the pages to help the reader keep track (and to identify the pages if they should become separated)? If so, probably — it could be helpful. You could instead use running feet, by the way. Less intrusive — link the text to the page number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blickfang
I thought about using the fonts »Day Roman« and »Piqiarniq« (since they seem to be nice free fonts). Do they fit together?
I suppose. Neither has much character. Pigiarniq (note the spelling) was designed for typesetting Inuit texts; it has many extra characters for that purpose — otherwise it is a serviceable sans-serif font.

The only thing about Day Roman is that it is a dignified oldstyle, kind of formal; not what I would expect in a technical journal. But you would probably not be burned at the stake for the typeface if you used it! <g>

Have you considered Gentium for text? It is an open source font with a bit of Dutch sturdiness. It strikes me as more appropriate for your text than the somewhat delicate Day Roman.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:47 PM   #6
annc
Sysop
 
annc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Posts: 4,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
... the full point at the end of a headline?
That was InDesign dropping in Lorem ipsum, and as I set the whole thing in five minutes, I didn't see it. So pick some more nits!

   
__________________
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:47 PM   #7
annc
Sysop
 
annc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Posts: 4,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
And the lady on page two is...
The author of the paper I bastardised for that example.

   
__________________
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:31 AM   #8
donmcc
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sarnia, Canada
Posts: 1,122
Default

> 9-division” type area

Could this mean a 3 x 3 grid?
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:02 AM   #9
Michael Rowley
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ipswich (the one in England)
Posts: 5,105
Default

Ann:

so pick some more nits!

Hoity-toity!

I really didn't know if it was intentional, for I have seen full points at the ends of headlnes, and those certainly were intentional.

   
__________________
Michael
Michael Rowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:34 AM   #10
Blickfang
Member
 
Blickfang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Can you explain better what you mean? I am not familiar with the “9-division” type area.
It's a method of cunstructing an »ideal« type area. It gives you best propor-
tions with much of white space [picture]. You can get the same result if you
divide your page up into 9 parts vertically and horizontally. Your border is
then: 2 parts bottom and outside, one part top and inside.

Since this method results in too much white space for my purpose, you can
use the same method but divide the page up into 10, 11, 12 . . . parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Again, what do you mean? A running head — something that appears on all the pages to help the reader keep track (and to identify the pages if they should become separated)? If so, probably — it could be helpful. You could instead use running feet, by the way. Less intrusive — link the text to the page number.
That's what I meant. But I don't know if such a »running head« is useful
since I have only about 40 pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
I suppose. Neither has much character. Pigiarniq (note the spelling) was designed for typesetting Inuit texts; it has many extra characters for that purpose — otherwise it is a serviceable sans-serif font.

The only thing about Day Roman is that it is a dignified oldstyle, kind of formal; not what I would expect in a technical journal. But you would probably not be burned at the stake for the typeface if you used it!
So -- do you advice me not to use Piqiarniq? I think the font »Myriad Pro«
mentioned by annc hasn't more character then this -- maybe I'm wrong with
that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Have you considered Gentium for text? It is an open source font with a bit of Dutch sturdiness. It strikes me as more appropriate for your text than the somewhat delicate Day Roman.
Yes, I thought about that! But . . . it seemed a bit too »dynamic« for my pur-
pose -- too much »handwritten«. Maybe I'm wrong with that, too?

----------

Besides!

I'm not creating a journal! With »paper« I meant a kind of treatise, like
a master thesis.
Blickfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Logo design tips ktinkel Print Design 7 09-14-2006 12:21 AM
All weather paper... terrie The Corner Pub 4 06-16-2006 12:08 PM
Making paper PeterArnel Print Production & Automation 14 06-14-2006 03:20 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.