DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 06-17-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
iamback

Default Helpful Microsoft

A lot of Googling brought me closer to my large HD problem with Christiaan (thanks to the excellent Maxtor site). They mention how to solve the problem for Windows 2000 and Windows XP and also link to a Microsoft Knowledge Base Article. Unfortunately, that article, and the one it links to, deals with Windows XP only.

The problem has to do with "48-bit Logical Block Addressing" addressing so I tried to search the MS site for [48-bit Logical Block Addressing Windows 2000]. MS has a neato "Did you mean?" functionality now. Follow the link to see what it suggested...

(Actually, it also came up with a relevant link.)

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 01:20 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Quote:
marjolein: MS has a neato "Did you mean?" functionality now. Follow the link to see what it suggested...
ROFL!!! That's pretty funny...'-}}

It's interesting about the LBA...I didn't think that was supposed to be a problem anymore but I guess it still is...also, I guess I'm lucky that the new drive I had installed a number of months ago was 120gb so I didn't run into the LBA problem on my W2K sp2 system...I've bookmarked the KB page that explains what you need to do to fix the problem...

By the way, did the KB solution work?

I had a separate controller installed when I had my system built (1 CD reader, 1 CD r/w, 1 3.5 floppy, 3 harddrives originally installed and now a 4th harddrive) and it requires separate drivers that you have to install before trying to install W2K...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:00 PM   #3
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
my large HD problem
Shoot! If I had realized you were having that problem I would have pointed you to KB article 305098 which I found so useful I printed a copy on 2005.10.27
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
MS has a neato "Did you mean?" functionality now.
Google has that too and comes up with some equally funny suggestions.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
ROFL!!! That's pretty funny...'-}}

It's interesting about the LBA...I didn't think that was supposed to be a problem anymore but I guess it still is...also, I guess I'm lucky that the new drive I had installed a number of months ago was 120gb so I didn't run into the LBA problem on my W2K sp2 system...I've bookmarked the KB page that explains what you need to do to fix the problem...

By the way, did the KB solution work?
I haven't tried that yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
I had a separate controller installed when I had my system built (1 CD reader, 1 CD r/w, 1 3.5 floppy, 3 harddrives originally installed and now a 4th harddrive) and it requires separate drivers that you have to install before trying to install W2K...
Actually, installing a separate controller with its own BIOS (that supports large drives) is one of the three possible solutions Maxtor gives. So if your controller supports large drives, you won't have a problem!

See my reply to Gary!

Last edited by iamback; 06-17-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:54 PM   #6
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary
Shoot! If I had realized you were having that problem I would have pointed you to KB article 305098 which I found so useful I printed a copy on 2005.10.27
Well, I pretty soon found very good informatin on the Maxtor site (good enough that I didn't have to take the HD out again to check cylinders and sectors and stuff).

It suggests three possible solutions:
  • installing its own utility (which seems to just do the Registry adaptations suggested by MS for you)
  • installing Intel's Application Accelerator
  • if those don't help: installing a separate controller with its own BIOS that supports large drives (which sounds like that would function the same way a bootable SCSI controller works)
So it seems like there will be at least some solution. And i've found out that as long as it's not fixed, the upper end of the HD space will simply not be used - nothing will break. So that's a relief.

I've now downloaded and bookmarked a ton of pages (partly because I realized ofl Grace must have the same problem: if I ever want to install a new drive in there I'd need all of the same information again); the differences between the three sites are remarkable:
  • Maxtor: get very quickly to the information you need; crosslinks to related information are on target, and to the point. No time wasted there.
  • Microsoft: Maxtor linked to one KB article, which in its turn linked to another. But both related to WinXP only (Maxtor also specified Win2000) and they contained no cross-reference to Win2000 - which led to the humorous search result. But Microsoft is getting better at finding relevant information, and apart from the humour, it did get me precisely to where I needed to be
  • Intel: shudder. They do have all the information. In an endless, very sticky web! I spent a lot of time following links (a long series of links just to get from a relevant download found to the actual download), and several circular links - which made it very hard to organize my bookmarks of it all. The stuff is complicated since what you need depends on which chipset and OS you have, and what you need to determine your chipset also depends on the age of your system it seems (no information given on the site, so I first downloaded the latest, only to be told when I ran it that I needed another version - I now have all three) - I'm sure it could be organized better. (And I finally ended up on a page that refers back to Maxtor's utility. )

I'm inclined to go for the Intel solution, which is an actual driver rather than some Registry tweaks (and it should have other advantages as well). If it doesn't work, I'll still have the 'accelerator' effect, and could check what a controller costs - but I don't intend to pour too much $$$ into essentially an old machine: I could always get a smaller drive (say 120GB) to put into Christiaan, and save the larger one for when I get a new computer. Still, it would be nice if it did work!

Links on request - but it's a big bunch!

I'm all set to try and install the Intel driver, and see if that gives me as larger drive! Tomorrow! *yawn*

Old 06-17-2006, 10:41 PM   #7
gary

An alternate option is to only use 120G for the C: drive; once Win2K/WinXP has superceded the BIOS there should be no problem with using the rest of the drive (once again - provided the hardware supports 48-bit LBA)

I boot Win2K-sp4 off the first 80G ( NTFS C: ) of a 400G Hitachi, the rest of the drive is a 320G ( NTFS D: ) partition. I do have "EnableBigLba" set on.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:10 AM   #8
iamback

Quote:
An alternate option is to only use 120G for the C: drive; once Win2K/WinXP has superceded the BIOS there should be no problem with using the rest of the drive (once again - provided the hardware supports 48-bit LBA)
I actually partioned using Win2K; at first I booted from a floppy with Win98 and tried to create a first partition with FDISK - and that just hung; then I remembered Win2K install can also do partitioning and the machine can boot from CD-ROM, so I tried that and it worked ... but it did behave a bit unexpectedly, limiting the sizes I could set. The CD has Win2K SP1 though.

Then when I figured there was maybe a problem with the BIOS, and found the info on the Maxtor site, the first thing I did was install SP4.

Since I'm planning to multi-boot, I have just a small C: partition for the basic (multi)boot files (1GB now, I can shrink it later), and a not-so-large logical drive in an extended partition to house Win2K. I always have a drive to house the OS only, and set it up so that all application programs and data go on their own separate drives. Win2K and (when I can grab the beta) Windows Vista easily fit in the first 100G or less, so there shouldn't be a problem with those. On Grace, Win2K lives in a 5GB partition, with still more than 2GB to spare.

I had also planned to install a Linux in a last, fourth, partition - so I guess I'll need to find a distro that has support for large drives built in or it won't work... Not the end of the world, but something to keep in mind now.

Old 06-18-2006, 05:29 PM   #9
gary

Quote:
The CD has Win2K SP1 though.
You might want to make a "slipstream" Win2K-SP4 install CD - that will let you configure the boot drive up to the BIOS capability
Quote:
Since I'm planning to multi-boot, I have just a small C: partition for the basic (multi)boot files (1GB now, I can shrink it later) ... I had also planned to install a Linux in a last, fourth, partition - so I guess I'll need to find a distro that has support for large drives built in or it won't work.
Any recent (kernel 2.4 on) distribution of Linux (SuSE 9+, Fedora Core 3+, etc.) will support as much drive as the hardware can handle.
Like WinNT/2K/XP, when Linux boots the kernel completely replaces the BIOS.
I typically allocate a (100MB) partition at the front of the drive for the GRUB boot loader which is fast replacing LILO as the Linux boot loader of choice.
On my laptop GRUB lets me choose between Win2K(c), WinXP(d) and SuSE Linux.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:31 AM   #10
iamback

Quote:
You might want to make a "slipstream" Win2K-SP4 install CD - that will let you configure the boot drive up to the BIOS capability
Thanks, I'll look into that once I have Christiaan completely up and running again (still dealing with HW drivers ). It would be nice if I could integrate the Intel drivers into that as well...

Quote:
Any recent (kernel 2.4 on) distribution of Linux (SuSE 9+, Fedora Core 3+, etc.) will support as much drive as the hardware can handle.
Like WinNT/2K/XP, when Linux boots the kernel completely replaces the BIOS.
Thanks, good to know!