DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 06-16-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
Daudio

Default Style.org

I'm not exactly sure what this is all about, but I do like their style !

Style.org

DaveAyers.com, Brass Backshop Forum
Daudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:57 PM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daudio

Style.org
Style? What style? I don't like it!
  • There is no DOCTYPE declaration
  • It would be far more legible if they swapped serif and sans-serif so the body text is sans-serif.
  • A lot of the markup is actually representational - not a good use of stylesheets; for instance <blockquote> is frequently being used just to indent text (although there is one actual blockquote as well)
  • Also, the Latin names are not marked up properly - they should not be marked up with <i> tags (presentational) but preferably with <span lang="la"></span>, and then using CSS to display it as italics; the lang attribiute (or xml:lang - but it does not seem to be coded as XHTML) identifies it as a scientific name (as a compromise, use <i> but add the lang attribute)
  • All images have an empty alt attribute - they are definitely not a "decorative" images so they require an appropriate text, and for accessibilty the graphs require a longdesc as well.
  • Besides, all images sit in a single-cell table (a two-cell in one case), which clearly are layout tables - and used for no apparent reason: simple CSS can handle all that is done with this load of superfluous markup.
  • Data tables are not marked up as data tables; there aren't even header cells, but we see horrible code like this:
    HTML Code:
    <tr style="font-weight: bold;">
    	<td width="40%">Species</td>
    	<td width="20%">Body mass</td>
    	<td width="20%">Frequency</td>
    	<td width="20%">Amplitude</td>
    	</tr>
  • The data tables also contain information given in color only - again not accessible
  • Of course paragraphs with a non-breaking space should not be used either:
    HTML Code:
    <p>
    &nbsp;
    </p>
    That's what CSS is for!

This is not even exhaustive. Who's next?

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:32 AM   #3
dthomsen8

Default Serif or sans-serif

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
  • It would be far more legible if they swapped serif and sans-serif so the body text is sans-serif.
Who's next?
The serif or sans-serif issue has been around a very long time, maybe as long as print on paper.

On the web, professionally done web sites for large organizations (governments, large corporations, universities) have it both ways, as well as all serif or all sans-serif. I am sure I could provide examples, as I did look into it at one time.

I find the style example easy to read, and I don't have time to plunge into the internals.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:59 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daudio
Wearing my designer hat, I like the spare quality and the openess of the page. And I have no problem with the Georgia as text; it is readable at the size it appears on my screen. Pretty artwork, too.

But I find the text lines too wide for good readability or reading comfort. Then when I tried to narrow the page to reduce the width of the text lines, the whole thing fell apart. When I tried it again, it held up pretty well. Dunno what that’s about. (The first time I moved quickly, the second time more slowly — that shouldn’t matter, right?)

I like the blue/black stuff. There is a lot to like here, but it needs technical help (at least a DOCTYPE); and less reliance on tables for layout. He also uses tables for tabular data. I could do without all the flush right headings, but they are pretty easy to read otherwise. (Check out his parsing of the State of the Union addresses of 5 presidents: Washington, Lincoln, Reagan, Clinton, and G.W. Bush.)

His “logo” is excessively subtle, imho.

Old 06-19-2006, 01:00 AM   #5
LoisWakeman
Staff

KT: I agree with you about the choice of fonts. But flush right headings? : on FF1.5.0.4 for Win, I see them flush left.

I enjoyed the sideways references to Monty Python, too.

I didn't see any logo, only breadcrumbs: or was that your point?
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:18 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman
But flush right headings?
. . .
I didn't see any logo, only breadcrumbs: or was that your point?
Yeah. Very subtle!

The headings I was referring to were not on that page — if you click on the modest crumb it takes you to a directory of pages, and one that caught my interest was on parsing the State of the Union address. There is a table in there with very long headings, all stacked flush right, along with the data below.

Normally one makes the headings flush left or centered, balanced over the figures. One-line headings could be flush right with attracting much attention but these caught my eye because they were so very tall.

Still, very pretty place.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:54 AM   #7
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Still, very pretty place.
Pretty to look at - I'll grant you that - but this is a "service" by "a precision design studio specializing in information design and web site development"; I don't know what they mean by "precision" in this context but they do seem to rather ignorant of structural markup...

"Style" on the web these days refers not just to visual effect but to effective use of stylesheets and effective separation of content and presentation. And this "precision design studio" seems not to have mastered those concepts yet. Or even valid HTML...

Old 06-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Pretty to look at - I'll grant you that - but this is a "service" by "a precision design studio specializing in information design and web site development"; I don't know what they mean by "precision" in this context but they do seem to rather ignorant of structural markup...
Acknowledged (by me). But it is also fair to critique the look of a web site.

There is no reason at all that site must be so weirdly (badly) built. Its look is a separate thing — someone (evidently not that particular person) could recreate it properly.

Old 06-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #9
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
someone (evidently not that particular person) could recreate it properly.
Yeah - cries out for a "make over" exercise. No time now (what with rebuilding Christiaan) but otherwise...

Old 06-19-2006, 04:25 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Yeah - cries out for a "make over" exercise. No time now (what with rebuilding Christiaan) but otherwise...
Actually, that would be a great forum project — if any of us had time!

Then we could invite the (extremely surprised, perhaps irritated — but with luck, amuses) guy over to see the result!

But who among us has the time?