DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 06-13-2006, 08:38 PM   #1
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Default How to calculate inkjet printing costs?

I've done everything in my power to avoid this issue for as long as I could, but now must come up with some kind of per-page cost for printing to inkjet. With paper costs easily determined, the tough part is figuring out how much heavy, medium and light ink coverage costs.

Photos are heavy ink coverage so that'll be the high-end. Then there's what I'd think of as medium ink coverage, perhaps about 50/50 text and photos. Then "light" coverage would be simple, basic business cards with a small logo and the usual limited amount of text.

Has anyone anywhere come up with some kind of percentage to multiply ink cartridge costs by for heavy, medium and light coverage?

This is first and foremost for figuring internal costs. Once I have those I believe I can calculate from them to get a retail price.

Hm...I wonder if ink manufacturers have figures available for how many of _____ type of prints one of their cartridges will print. You know they know this stuff, because you see ad claims about saving ink costs and percentages are mentioned: "Save xx% over OEM cartridges by buying our XYZ ink!"

Old 06-13-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
Shane Stanley
Staff

A lot of manufacturers quote figures. Here's an interesting link on an Epson site: <http://epson.com.au/news/technologynews/inkyields_methodology.html>

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:35 PM   #3
Mike
Staff

I've had the same problem and I don't know the answer. With the Epson 4800 it's possible to get a printout of the amount of each colour ink used in each print job. For a while I entered these figures into a spreadsheet and was able to calculate the cost of ink used for each page.

Then I read an article that said that somewhere between 50% and 30% of the consumed ink went onto the paper -- the rest was used in cleaning cycles. So the answer seemed to be to calculate the cost of ink used and multiply by 2 or 3.

In the end I decided to just make up some numbers that seemed to give me a reasonable profit. Once I get QuickBooks set up properly I might be able to have a cost centre for printmaking to see if I really am making a decent profit over a period of time.

I've attached my price list and would welcome any responses on the reasonableness or otherwise of the prices I'm currently charging.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Retail price list.pdf (80.1 KB, 223 views)
File Type: pdf Trade price list.pdf (80.1 KB, 165 views)

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:03 AM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
elyse: Has anyone anywhere come up with some kind of percentage to multiply ink cartridge costs by for heavy, medium and light coverage?
Ahhh...the eternal inkjet user question...'-}}

I don't know if this will help but Luminous Landscape has a discussion on this using an Epson 4000.

I think that it's not something you can pin down from someone else's figures and you have to generate the info yourself by making a note of how many prints you generate from your own work over a period of time.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:07 AM   #5
terrie
Staff

Mike...interesting price list...how can you sell your cards a 50p/card? What cardstock are you using? And your scanning charges are very inexpensive, particularly as you are including color correction!

Terrie
Old 06-14-2006, 01:58 PM   #6
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

It is interesting. Wish there were links to the test pages they refer to, as well as to results of those tests.

Old 06-14-2006, 02:09 PM   #7
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
Luminous Landscape has a discussion on this using an Epson 4000.
Thanks. That'll take some time to wade through.

I thought surely someone somewhere by now would've figured out, by printer model, a general range of percentages for ink use with heavy, medium and light coverage. <sigh>

Old 06-14-2006, 02:13 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
elyse: Thanks. That'll take some time to wade through.
LOL!!! I found it rather heavy wading myself...'-}}

>>I thought surely someone somewhere by now would've figured out, by printer model, a general range of percentages for ink use with heavy, medium and light coverage. <sigh>

On the EpsonWideFormat list at yahoo, it's a very common question and while people offer figures, they are really ballpark and geared to the wide format printers which is not what I remember you having...

Terrie
Old 06-14-2006, 02:17 PM   #9
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Then I read an article that said that somewhere between 50% and 30% of the consumed ink went onto the paper -- the rest was used in cleaning cycles. So the answer seemed to be to calculate the cost of ink used and multiply by 2 or 3.
Good info. Didn't realize so little of the ink ends up on paper.

Quote:
I've attached my price list and would welcome any responses on the reasonableness or otherwise of the prices I'm currently charging.
Thanks very much. Those will give me a starting place.

Old 06-14-2006, 02:18 PM   #10
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
On the EpsonWideFormat list at yahoo, it's a very common question and while people offer figures, they are really ballpark and geared to the wide format printers which is not what I remember you having...
You remember correctly. I have an Epson 2200 (and the R200 for printing CDs/DVDs).