DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 05-31-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Know any good dentist/doctor sites?

I have been looking all over the place for good — effective, attractive — web sites for professionals. They are mostly awful; in fact, most seem to come from a package, including stock photos of fantastic beauties with gorgeous teeth (or whatever feature).

Needless to say, none (that I have seen) validate.

Does anyone know any unique, well-done sites that I can show the dentist? Appreciate any links.

Thanks.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:10 PM   #2
dthomsen8

Default Reasonable Example

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Does anyone know any unique, well-done sites that I can show the dentist? Appreciate any links.
http://www.moskowitzdental.com//index.php

is a reasonable example of a dentist site. It is peculiar that there is no way back to the home page once you burrow down into the detail pages. I am not sure how many patients would fill out that long form online without ever meeting the dentist. Anyway, it is a reasonable, if not unique, example from one of the sites linked to http://www.packerparkcivic.org in Philadelphia.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
http://www.moskowitzdental.com//index.php is a reasonable example of a dentist site. It is peculiar that there is no way back to the home page once you burrow down into the detail pages. I am not sure how many patients would fill out that long form online without ever meeting the dentist.
That is pretty good (though it, like all the others I found, does not validate). I don’t love the look/style but all the elements are there, they look honest, and the dentist sounds straightforward.

BTW — there is a Home button at top right (with site map and e-mail) on all the pages. Obviously not too well placed (or colored, maybe), since you didn’t see it.

Thanks, David.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:56 PM   #4
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
That is pretty good (though it, like all the others I found, does not validate). I don’t love the look/style but all the elements are there, they look honest, and the dentist sounds straightforward.

BTW — there is a Home button at top right (with site map and e-mail) on all the pages. Obviously not too well placed (or colored, maybe), since you didn’t see it.
I didn't try w3 validation, but TIDY did not report any errors, just warnings about missing alt info and background as a parameter.

I missed the Home button because there are two horizontal menus on every page, both the same, and that is what caught my eye when I wanted to return to the home page.

http://www.nicheagency.com/dental-ma...te-design.html

has a whole series of designs for dental marketing. I found this agency from Google searching on "national dental design," because I found "National Dental at the bottom of the pages. See the attachment, blown up by 4 times to get the type reasonably legible. Why bother with text on an image, when it is so very tiny?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	copyright.gif
Views:	112
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	583  
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
I didn't try w3 validation, but TIDY did not report any errors, just warnings . . .

nicheagency.com/dental-marketing has a whole series of designs for dental marketing. I found this agency from Google searching on "national dental design," because I found "National Dental at the bottom of the pages. See the attachment, blown up by 4 times to get the type reasonably legible. Why bother with text on an image, when it is so very tiny?
I did the same thing. Only I did not find that type especially small (shrug — lesson we all need to keep on learning — we have little idea what others are seeing!).

I did validate by W3C (it is so easy in Firefox!).