DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
iamback

Default Weird MySQL problem

I'm running into a problem with MySQL that has me stumped. I cannot find anything about this behavior on the MySQL site either.

I have a table defined with one (string) column, and a PRIMARY key on that column (so each value must also be unique). Now assume I have the following records:
  • bbbbb
  • eeeee
  • pfffft

Next, I change one value, let's say I change "eeeee" to "zzzzz". If I subsequently do a SELECT without an ORDER BY clause, what I would expect is this:
  • bbbbb
  • zzzzz
  • pfffft
Instead, what I get is this:
  • bbbbb
  • pfffft
  • zzzzz

It seems MySQL implicitly sorts by the (primary) key, even if this is not specified with an ORDER BY clause. I cannot find a specification of this behavior.

Unfortunately - for a maintenance form of the table - I actually need to retrieve the records in the same order after a modification, regardless of what strings the column contains. The only workaround I can think of is to add an (otherwise redundant) auto_increment primary key, and define a second key on the actual data column as UNIQUE. This will work, but I'm not fond of adding redundant data...

Any other ideas, anyone?

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote