DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 02-22-2005, 03:21 PM   #1
Gerry Kowarsky

Default Plantin TrueType

I just installed a CD-ROM version of the Shorter Oxford Dictionary. It came with a set of Plantin fonts. I imagine they are from Monotype's ESQ line because they look really nice on screen on Windows 98.
Gerry Kowarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 03:43 PM   #2
Hugh Wyn Griffith

NSOED used to install an extraordinary bunch of fonts including phonetics, greek although I don't spot the phonetics in Fonts.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 05:05 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Kowarsky
I just installed a CD-ROM version of the Shorter Oxford Dictionary. It came with a set of Plantin fonts. I imagine they are from Monotype's ESQ line because they look really nice on screen on Windows 98.
Is the Shorter Oxford Dictionary the same thing as the Oxford Concise Dictionary?

If so (and I am not optimistic!), there is a special deal from Corel through February 28 for WordPerfect Office 12 and the OCD for $149 ($125 upgrade — and there are liberal upgrade options).

To check this out, go to the Corel special offers page.

Old 02-23-2005, 01:08 AM   #4
Richard Hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Is the Shorter Oxford Dictionary the same thing as the Oxford Concise Dictionary?
No, they're different. I can't remember what the exact difference is without looking it uo.

Richard
Richard Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:33 AM   #5
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
No. when I was first working as a librarian in a university library, back in the mid-sixties, the Shorter Oxford was a large two volume set, while the Concise was a single manageable volume.

IOW, the 'shorter' is in relation to 'The Oxford English Dictionary', a huge multi-volume work.

Old 02-23-2005, 09:41 AM   #6
Gerry Kowarsky

The SOED and the COED are different. At two volumes, the SOED is shorter than the full OED but has all English words used after 1700 and words used before that date that appear in the works of major literary figures. The COED is still a nice dictionary with 240,000 words, phrases and definitions. I think it would be fair to say that the SOED is to the COED as Merriam-Webster's unabridged is to Merriam-Webster's Collegiate. Actually, I just got the COED, too, as both a book and a CD. The CD comes with the same Plantin fonts (though without the small caps).
Old 02-23-2005, 09:43 AM   #7
Gerry Kowarsky

There are still phonetic fonts, but I haven't looked to see exactly what is there.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:54 PM   #8
Michael Rowley

Gerry:

I had the OED (i.e. the full version of the 2nd edition) for Windows 3.1 and it came with a set of TT fonts. Unfortunately, it was v. 1, for which there is no upgrade path, but I still have the fonts, including Arial Small Caps OUP (very useful!), Plantin OUP—a set including small caps—, and Times New Roman Phonetics. They are all protected against embedding in Word, but I think Acrobat will oblige.

Incidentally, when I got the OED on-line version I was first delivered the printed edition by mistake: not only were there 20 large volumes, they were packed in only four cases that were too heavy for me to shift from our front hall.