DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 05-28-2006, 10:08 PM   #1
Franca
Staff

Default Oddball WinXP Pro SP2 Problem

Well, this one's a new one on me ....

I have been trying to get my husband's new laptop computer set up for our trip to France and am really running out of time. I solved one major issue and am now confronted with another - three programs on CD simply will not install:

• MS Office 97
  • Corel Ventura 8 (Ventura 10 installed fine)
  • Seiko SmartLabel Printer software
Some others on CD that installed with no trouble at all:
  • CorelDraw7
  • Adobe Acrobat 5.0.5
  • Adobe Photoshop 7.0
  • DataViz Conversions Plus
I have tried installing from the autoplay screen (if one comes up - not all do) as well as from Start>Run.... If I click "install" in the autoplay screen nothing at all happens. Clicking from Start>Run generates an error message saying that D:\ drive is not accessible and to please check the path and try again. Of course D:\ drive is perfectly accessible as I was allowed to browse right to it and click OK prior to getting the error message. And there is the small matter of most other CDs installing just fine.

I have turned off ZoneAlarm prior to installing and - thanks to [expletive deleted] Norton - am currently not running any antivirus software until I finish installing other apps. (When I do I will not be reinstalling Norton. Aaargh.)

I suspect the problem may be somehow related to an NTVDM.EXE error message (initialization failure error) I get occasionally on shutting down, and have read that this MS XP app (for dealing with 16-bit programs in a 32-bit world) can cause various difficulties ... but I've been unable to find my exact issue mentioned anywhere online. This will be the third or fourth XP Pro install for me and the first time this has ever happened. First time I've ever even heard of ntvdm.exe.

The laptop in question is a Dell 620 Latitude running Win XP SP2. The only significant difference I can think of between this machine and the others running XP Pro is that I don't believe any of the others were preinstalled with SP2, whereas this one was.

Anybody else seen this and know how to fix it??

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:24 PM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
Well, this one's a new one on me ....

I have been trying to get my husband's new laptop computer set up for our trip to France and am really running out of time. I solved one major issue and am now confronted with another - three programs on CD simply will not install:
  • MS Office 97
  • Corel Ventura 8 (Ventura 10 installed fine)
  • Seiko SmartLabel Printer software
(...)
Anybody else seen this and know how to fix it??
MS Office 97 is ancient and I woudln't be surpised if it's imply not compatible with the much newer WinXP. I'd install Open Office 2.0 instead - you can get it as a huge download or frequently as on a magazine cover CD. It's free, and quite compatible: no problem at all using it.

I don't know how old the other apps are, but it could be the same problem. There were some changes between Win2K and WinXp that caused problems for older programs, in some cases to the point that they simply won't install. (Old programs that do may expose other weird problems, browsing the directory structure from within a program is one thing I know of that can act weird due to differences under teh hood.)

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:14 PM   #3
Franca
Staff

Quote:
MS Office 97 is ancient and I woudln't be surpised if it's imply not compatible with the much newer WinXP.
I would certainly buy that if we weren't currently running Office 97 and the other two apps on our other working XP Pro SP2 machines. There is something decidedly different about this new laptop. (Oh, and CorelDraw 7 is as ancient as Office 97 and it installed without a hitch.) I was blaming all of my problems with this laptop on Norton, but now that I've finally uninstalled and swept away all of the Norton bits and pieces this one problem remains.

I've already introduced my husband to Open Office (which I have been using for quite some time as I do not allow MS office products on my system). He very much likes the idea of Open Office, but on top of his resistance to change, unfortunately there is a problem with PowerPoint files. The Word and Excel files went back and forth between Open Office and Office 97 fine but PowerPoint files edited in OO and saved back to Word format opened with a lot of content missing. It looked like PPT was opening a template rather than a full PPT presentation, because only the elements that were common to every slide showed up. So ... Open Office is only a partial fix. And doesn't solve the problem with the other two apps. We don't absolutely have to have the other two for this trip but will need the Seiko label program when we return. Maybe there's a downloadable update for that one by now, but when we got it last year it was the most current version.

Old 05-29-2006, 05:07 AM   #4
iamback

Quote:
I would certainly buy that if we weren't currently running Office 97 and the other two apps on our other working XP Pro SP2 machines. There is something decidedly different about this new laptop. (Oh, and CorelDraw 7 is as ancient as Office 97 and it installed without a hitch.) I was blaming all of my problems with this laptop on Norton, but now that I've finally uninstalled and swept away all of the Norton bits and pieces this one problem remains.
So what about teh other WinXp machines? Did you install it on there or was Office 97 there already on an older OS which you upgraded to WinXP? There's a difference...

Quote:
I've already introduced my husband to Open Office (which I have been using for quite some time as I do not allow MS office products on my system). He very much likes the idea of Open Office, but on top of his resistance to change, unfortunately there is a problem with PowerPoint files. The Word and Excel files went back and forth between Open Office and Office 97 fine but PowerPoint files edited in OO and saved back to Word format opened with a lot of content missing. It looked like PPT was opening a template rather than a full PPT presentation, because only the elements that were common to every slide showed up.
Was that in OO 2.0 or an earlier beta? I think they fixed some compatibility bugs in the latest release version; it could also be that it's compatible with later versions of Office, just not this ancient one.

(I haven't installed 2.0 yet, just a late beta which actually is something like 1.97 - but I only very rarely do presentations.)

No ideas on the other programs...

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:17 AM   #5
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

I use Dell - their support staff are excellent - have u tried them??
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:18 PM   #6
Franca
Staff

I guess that's the next step. I hate phone support in general, but I also have had good experiences with Dell WRT tech support so I should just take a deep breath and go for it.

Old 05-29-2006, 12:25 PM   #7
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
So what about teh other WinXp machines? Did you install it on there or was Office 97 there already on an older OS which you upgraded to WinXP? There's a difference...
Installed myself, same procedure, on systems pre-installed with XP Pro OS and no MS Office. But as I think I mentioned before, I had to update XP to SP2 myself because those computers were built before SP2 came out. That's the only difference I can think of .

Quote:
Was that in OO 2.0 or an earlier beta? I think they fixed some compatibility bugs in the latest release version; it could also be that it's compatible with later versions of Office, just not this ancient one.
Downloaded and installed the latest version. Will be testing again shortly!

Old 05-29-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

Yes its great in the UK because they all are in India - I remember when we were playing them at cricket (in India) it was good fun
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:03 PM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Office 97 should run OK under XP. Certainly it will under Win2000.

A note I saved after having Office 97 install problems (and ISTR that it was into a post NT version of Windows):

"If you get WOW DVM errors when installing Office 97 into NT4 (or possibly when running other apps?) it's because one or more of these files is missing from \WINNT\System32

Config.nt
Autoexec.nt
Command.com

If so, and if you can, expand them from the NT4 install CD (one is probably part of the Virtual machine). They're in \I386 as

config.nt_
autoexec.nt_
command.co_

================

You'd want to look for these files on your XP CD or the existing Windows\I386 folder

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:19 PM   #10
BobRoosth

Quote:
Corel Ventura 8 (Ventura 10 installed fine)
I seem to recall a problem with either Draw 8 or Ventura 8 that was related to the system date. The easiest solution was to temporarily set the date. But I don't recall which direction. Why not set the date to 1998 or 1999 and try the install? My copy seems to be dated 1998.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote