DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 05-28-2006, 07:35 AM   #1
Paul

Default Wireless as only connection

A second question about my downsizing plan:

Is it feasible to use a wireless connection to broadband as the only connection? I have a wireless router and use wireless with a subnotebook computer, but my desktop computer is connected with an Ethernet cable, and everyone I know seems to connect the "main" computer with a cable.

It's possible that, in the new place, I'll want to put my desk in a spot where it's not feasible to run cable. Would it be possible to install a wireless router wherever the cable happens to be, and a wireless adapter in the desktop computer, and use that as the only connection?
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:44 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Is it feasible to use a wireless connection to broadband as the only connection?
Don’t know why not, so long as you have the range (or unobstructed angle). I know several people who do that.

And it certainly makes it easier to rearrange things! I wish I could have wireless electricity! Enough of all these wires and cables.

Old 05-28-2006, 08:33 AM   #3
iamback

Quote:
Would it be possible to install a wireless router wherever the cable happens to be, and a wireless adapter in the desktop computer, and use that as the only connection?
It would - but count on using a wire connection to set things up at first: you'll need a wired connection all set up properly to be able to set up your wireless connection.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:09 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

The wireless will be slower than wired, of course, but I don't imagine that'd act as a throttle to anything but local area networking; you won't be getting enough down the internet pipe to saturate a wireless lashup.

Another approach is to use the house wiring. Netgear (and others, I'd assume) sells gadgets you plug into an outlet then attach by ethernet cable to your PC. One of these at the router/cable connection end, another wherever you want to hook up your PC and you're good to go. The connection speed's on a par with lower-end wireless; the connection itself can be much more reliable if you're operating at the edge of where the wireless works.

OTOH, if your desk is in the same room as or close to the wireless router, wireless would be as fast and probably less expensive to set up.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

My sister does that, with a laptop as her only computer. I set it up for her about two years ago, and she's totally happy. Oh, and the laptop is half the house away from the connection.

As Steve says, you will need to connect it to set it up, but we did that with the Netgear router wires. We just had to crouch on the floor to do it...

Old 05-28-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Is it feasible to use a wireless connection to broadband as the only connection? I have a wireless router and use wireless with a subnotebook computer, but my desktop computer is connected with an Ethernet cable, and everyone I know seems to connect the "main" computer with a cable.
As iamback says -- set up with wire first.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:24 AM   #7
Paul

Oh, setting it up with a wired connection would not be a problem. I could move the desktop computer temporarily, or do it with the subnotebook - I also have an Ethernet adapter for the latter. This is not an immediate problem, but I am relieved to know that it would be feasible, so I won't feel compelled to reject an apartment merely because the wiring is in the wrong place.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:56 AM   #8
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Oh, setting it up with a wired connection would not be a problem. I could move the desktop computer temporarily, or do it with the subnotebook - I also have an Ethernet adapter for the latter. This is not an immediate problem, but I am relieved to know that it would be feasible, so I won't feel compelled to reject an apartment merely because the wiring is in the wrong place.
One thought I've just had – your Boston apartment might have more solid walls than my sister's open-plan subtropical house!

Old 05-29-2006, 07:26 PM   #9
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Works well here. Not a single computer in our house is tethered to anything but its power outlet and peripherals, and all chatter happily to each other and outwards via broadband. Works a treat.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:00 AM   #10
Mike
Staff

Works for us. We have three Macs and one PC and they're all connected via wireless. It's worth keeping an ethernet cable handy though as it will most probably be needed to set up or change the wireless settings on the router (it's also useful for troubleshooting).

We've been using a wireless-only connection for three or four years.

We had a slight problem with the Mac and PC in the workshop but a separate wireless access point (to talk to the wireless router in the house) with a local wired network in the workshop solved that. The house has 3-foot thick granite walls and they do limit the range of the main wireless router somewhat.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote