DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 05-23-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
imatt

Default Wahaaayyy!! QXP 7 out today

Just got an email from a reatailer (PC World) that QXP 7 is out today. Well Well!!! The price is £245 or 292 incl. VAT for the upgrade and £749 or £880 incl.VAT (pheew!!) I've said it before, QXP is too pricey. As I see it, Their main competitor ain't InDesign, but the Creative Suite as a whole.

Compare the prices to Adobe CS2 from the same retailer:

Standard £639.99 or £752 incl. VAT

Prem £795.99 or £934 incl. VAT

So its plain to see that CS, even the Standard version makes better finanancial sense esp when you consider you're getting Photoshop and Illustrator which together cost more than Standard. InDesign becomes the icing on the cake so to speak. Quark have lowered their prices a little but not by a large amount.

Quark Xpress Lite anyone???
imatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:57 AM   #2
wizenpub

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatt
So its plain to see that CS, even the Standard version makes better finanancial sense esp when you consider you're getting Photoshop and Illustrator which together cost more than Standard.
Quark 7 blows InDesign so far away for professional workflows that it pays for itself over and over. InDesign costs itself over and over. Also, if you already have Photoshop 7 or 8 and Illustrator 10, you've pretty much got them already so why rebuy them since the recent upgrades have been fairly lackluster. At some point you should stop upgrading your "water" and "oxygen" and just enjoy drinking and breathing.

One more point Quark has made major improvements to it's non-destructive image manipulation built-in that make 80% of trips to Photoshop obsolete. And it has very nice vector drawing built in...though Illustrator rules for now.
wizenpub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:24 AM   #3
donmcc

> Also, if you already have Photoshop 7 or 8 and Illustrator 10, you've pretty much got them already so why rebuy them since the recent upgrades have been fairly lackluster.

I won't dispute your obvious enthusiasm for Quark, since I don't use it, and haven't used it past version 4 or 5. But you are a bit out of line in slamming the Adobe products. There are significant improvements in both Photoshop CS and CS2, at the least.

All I can go on about Quark is a general feeling (from people who do use both programs) that it is losing ground steadily to InDesign. It will be interesting to see if this version can slow, halt or reverse that trend.
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:03 PM   #4
wizenpub

I think CS (v8 as I mentioned) and CS 1 are great....no slams. However, it's getting to be more of an asymtotic path for upgrades as they've got so much going already, that Adobe is running out of new ideas (relatively speaking). In fact OpenSource programs and Apple are on a geometric upgrade path in comparison and I suspect in 10 years even venerable Photoshop will be freeware or completely irrelavent as Internet II and open source 3-D web applications take over the world. It can happen as fast as a FireFox can blink. Quark is on a very rapid evolution path right now, far eclipsing the upgrade curve of what we've seen so far from Adobe.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:09 PM   #5
imatt

But the number of magazine publishers who've moved over to InDesign is growing. This is not just hitting Quark in the pocket. More importantly, in the long run, it must be a knock to Quarks position and morale.

Remember, Quark is not like MS, Adobe, Corel or Serif. It is a ONE product company. If MS has a dominant position in the PC OS and office productivity market and Adobe a dominat position in the creative print and web markets, where does this leave Quark?? Increasingly marginalised.

Most reviews I've seen put InDesign ahead. Xpress 7 will do a lot to redress the balance I guess (until InDesign CS3;-). Don't get me wrong, Xpress is a good product. However, no matter how good Xpress is, those who have moved from Xpress to InDesign will not move back. The best Quark can hope for is to retain its current cutomer base.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:47 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatt
But the number of magazine publishers who've moved over to InDesign is growing.
. . .
where does this leave Quark?? Increasingly marginalised.
. . .
moved from Xpress to InDesign will not move back.
That’s how it looks from here, but I do not actually know how many of those who acquired InDesign will stick with it. I hear of printers who still prefer the old XPress workflow, and that can be (or ought to to, maybe) a powerful force in Quark’s favor.

Magazine publishers may have more clout with their printers than graphic designers and the smaller ad agencies — so we should see how they go.

Anyway, it is like a game — you don’t get a score until the end. (But this game never ends! <g>)

Old 06-05-2006, 02:29 PM   #7
wizenpub

Honestly, most industry statistics still point (worldwide) to a 80%+ market share for Quark. While many American Magazines and Newspapers were lured by Adobe dumping of free InDesigns, there is a real need for collaboration in these workflows and Quark is pioneering heavily in that area. So some magazines will have nicer designs made with Quark's stellar transparency AND save tons of time collaborating...others will switch if Adobe is a laggard. As for CS 3...funny, now Adobe users are talking catch-up...but they'll be going against Quark 8 with a year of Universal Binary bugs already worked out. Also, countires like InDia and China are not keen on Adobe standards crammed down their gullets and are reluctant to go down the PDF in every pot road. Quark understands this and enjoys huge market shares abroad.

As for one trick pony, I'm not sure where you get your information...Quark has been on the cutting edge of server-based enterprise workflow systems for years. If you take a tour of their site you'll see so much intellectual property it'll make your head spin...and that's just what you can see. Take their QuarkDDS "dynamic document server"...where hundreds of people can render quark, pdf, jped or eps documents at the same time using only a web browser. Tried that in InDesign lately? I'm sure Quark has many surprises up their sleeves...a one trick pony they are not!
Old 06-05-2006, 03:00 PM   #8
imatt

Do They make a word processor. NO. Do they make a spreadsheet app. NO. Do they make a vector graphics app. NO. Do They make an image editing app. NO. Do they make a web design app. errr... let me think...NO.

All those features you mention. Suppose people were to stop buying Xpress as from next week. Or next month. Unlikely, but just imagine. Where would Quark be without its fattest cash cow????

That's what I meant to say by calling Quark a one product company. I know they do other products (though many tied in with Xpress). Perhaps its fairer to call Quark a one product dominated company.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:55 PM   #9
wizenpub

Yes...they make a word processor called CopyDesk...used at some major companies. Yes they make a 3-D app called Wrapture for creating and visualizing packaging. Yes they make an image processor called Vista, built into XPress 7 and they even had a Photoshop/Macromedia competitor called QuarkImmedia...you can bet it will resurface when you least expect it. Have you used the vector tools in Quark 7? With the color-based transparency it's more like a hybrid of Photoshop and Illustrator.

I guess I don't see the cash cow going out to pasture just yet, especially with the international and strong European technology component to Quark.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizenpub
. . . and they even had a Photoshop/Macromedia competitor called QuarkImmedia
Oh, dear — back in the day, a clever friend dubbed that one “Immodia”! They are bringing it back? Now that sounds like a desperation maneuver.