DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2006, 02:34 AM   #1
john_b

Default upgrading MySQL version?

First posting by yet another refugee from Inetpub, so greetings - one and all - from an unusually sunny Scotland...;-)

Following recommendations in Inetpub some years ago I installed the Apache/PHP/MySQL bundle from Firepages onto a Win2K machine and it has done a fine job ever since. Win2K is now, alas, XP but more significantly my hosting company have upgraded their MySQL to v4.1.19 and something that used to work fine on both my copy and theirs now doesn't.

I can get round it using search/replace but it's a bit of a pita so the upshot is that really need to consider upgrading my MySQL (probably v3.? but I don't even know how to check!) to v4.1.19 or above.

This app is crucial to me and I really don't want to risk fruitless and frustrating hours trying to solve endless problems - I suppose Firepages was a dream in that it took all that pain away...

Could anyone here point me to a bombproof dummies step-by-step guide on how to upgrade? I'm happy to leave Apache/PHP as they are if possible 'cos they work fine. On the other hand, maybe it makes sense to rip the lot out and start again?

(I should say that I have looked throught the 'official' upgrade instructions, but I'm not a guru and found them all a bit too daunting )

I'm sure I can't be the first to face this problem; nor will I be the last, so any clues will be more than welcome - many thanks!

John
john_b is offline   Reply With Quote