DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 05-23-2006, 03:34 AM   #1
john_b

Default upgrading MySQL version?

First posting by yet another refugee from Inetpub, so greetings - one and all - from an unusually sunny Scotland...;-)

Following recommendations in Inetpub some years ago I installed the Apache/PHP/MySQL bundle from Firepages onto a Win2K machine and it has done a fine job ever since. Win2K is now, alas, XP but more significantly my hosting company have upgraded their MySQL to v4.1.19 and something that used to work fine on both my copy and theirs now doesn't.

I can get round it using search/replace but it's a bit of a pita so the upshot is that really need to consider upgrading my MySQL (probably v3.? but I don't even know how to check!) to v4.1.19 or above.

This app is crucial to me and I really don't want to risk fruitless and frustrating hours trying to solve endless problems - I suppose Firepages was a dream in that it took all that pain away...

Could anyone here point me to a bombproof dummies step-by-step guide on how to upgrade? I'm happy to leave Apache/PHP as they are if possible 'cos they work fine. On the other hand, maybe it makes sense to rip the lot out and start again?

(I should say that I have looked throught the 'official' upgrade instructions, but I'm not a guru and found them all a bit too daunting )

I'm sure I can't be the first to face this problem; nor will I be the last, so any clues will be more than welcome - many thanks!

John
john_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:01 AM   #2
Kelvyn
Staff

The Firepages package is looking very outdated now, and is not so easy to upgrade as Apache, PHP and MySQL have moved on a lot. For Windows there is a good list of WAMP setups on Wikipedia. Probably the most popular is XAMP
which is easy to set up and has a good help file on the website.

Personally I use JSAS for my local test server - it is mainly for developing Joomla! sites, but can easily be used for developing other php applications or php/MySQL pages. Installation is very simple.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:05 AM   #3
dthomsen8

Default WAMP means...

"WAMP is an acronym for the combination Microsoft Windows, Apache, MySQL and one or more of Perl, PHP and Python. It is modelled after the more well-known LAMP, referring to the all-open source/free software approach which uses Linux instead of Windows."

Acronyms that I don't know annoy me. Here, for the benefit of lurkers, is a definition from Wikipedia for WAMP.

I will take advantage of this thread to ask a MySQL question. I have been using FOXPRO for DOS to do database manipulation of lists and other data, but it runs on my old Win98SE computer, which is giving me troubles.

The thought comes to me that I could use a WAMP installer to get MySQL running on my Windows XP Pro computer, and then use MySQL to import, massage and export text lists and other data. MySQL certainly doesn't have to be associated with a web site, and using it that way would be a learning tool for me for PHP and MySQL. I did a web site involving them for a client some years ago, and found it challenging, but my FOXPRO and earlier mainframe database experience was helpful in learning MySQL.

So, Kelvyn, is this a wild idea, or something that could work, given enough effort?

My bookshelf has 5 books on PHP and two books on PHP and MySQL.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:13 AM   #4
john_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
The Firepages package is looking very outdated now, and is not so easy to upgrade as Apache, PHP and MySQL have moved on a lot. For Windows there is a good list of WAMP setups on Wikipedia. Probably the most popular is XAMP which is easy to set up and has a good help file on the website.
Hi Kelvyn and many thanks for that. I looked at XAMP and it seems as if it can be installed as a separate bundle without affecting the bits from Firepages? I'll read it through again just to make sure that I haven't missed anything and that it isn't too good to be true!

Might pluck up courage to install it tomorrow and if all goes well then we'll need to reward you with a virtual pint of your choice...;-)

Thanks again and I'll report back on progress.

John

www.bikeroutes.org.uk
john_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:23 AM   #5
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
So, Kelvyn, is this a wild idea, or something that could work, given enough effort?
My bookshelf has 5 books on PHP and two books on PHP and MySQL.
You can certainly transfer a FoxPro .dbf to MySQL. There is even a converter already available.

I use phpMyAdmin to manipulate MySQL data, but yes, you could write your own - but why re-invent the wheel?

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Old 05-23-2006, 06:25 AM   #6
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_b
Hi Kelvyn and many thanks for that. I looked at XAMP and it seems as if it can be installed as a separate bundle without affecting the bits from Firepages?
Just install it in its own directory. I have two versions of JSAS running on my laptop with no problems.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:02 AM   #7
gary

Quote:
The thought comes to me that I could use a WAMP installer to get MySQL running on my Windows XP Pro computer, and then use MySQL to import, massage and export text lists and other data. MySQL certainly doesn't have to be associated with a web site, and using it that way would be a learning tool for me for PHP and MySQL. I did a web site involving them for a client some years ago, and found it challenging, but my FOXPRO and earlier mainframe database experience was helpful in learning MySQL.
You certainly don't need to install the whole bundle if all you want is MySQL. In fact there is a MySQL installer for windows as well as a MySQL control panel which will let you manage the server. You may also wish to install MyODBC which provides and ODBC driver so that you can use the MySQL databases from Visual Basic, MS Word, etc...
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:08 AM   #8
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_b
upgraded their MySQL to v4.1.19 and something that used to work fine on both my copy and theirs now doesn't.
The default password encryption changed in MySQL 4.0.

Once a user is created you can revert to using the old password format with
Code:
set password for username = OLD_PASSWORD('password');
or set a new format password with
Code:
set password for username = PASSWORD('password');
Old 05-23-2006, 12:39 PM   #9
dthomsen8

Default PHP and MySQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary
You certainly don't need to install the whole bundle if all you want is MySQL. In fact there is a MySQL installer for windows as well as a MySQL control panel which will let you manage the server. You may also wish to install MyODBC which provides and ODBC driver so that you can use the MySQL databases from Visual Basic, MS Word, etc...
Interesting. I would want PHP and MySQL, but not PERL.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:56 PM   #10
gary

Quote:
Interesting. I would want PHP and MySQL, but not PERL.
Both are separately installable under Windows - although it *is* uncommon to use PHP sans web server.

http://www.php.net/downloads.php