DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Old 05-21-2006, 11:36 PM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default CD storage systems

I'm reviving an old topic.

I archive my job files onto CDs, and it's really getting out of hand. At this point I have over 20 plastic shoeboxes full of CDs, and no more space for them. All the shelves and bookcases (and the top of the file cabinet) are piled up with them. And it's hard to stack them because the CDs are too tall for the boxes (lids won't fit).

I do have a couple of big CD binders, but I just can't become enamored with them. I find it easier to flip through a box of CDs, pull out the jewel cases I need, and put the CDs back in the cases when I'm done retrieving the files. With the binders, I'd need to keep them handy to re-file the CDs, and there's no room on my desk -- the binder have to go right back up on the shelves.

What I think I'd like is some kind of free-standing storage unit, with drawers so I can flip through the CDs (just seeing the spines is no good, since these are the skinny jewel cases and there's nothing on the spines), preferably on wheels. It would need to accommodate hundreds of CDs (I've got over 450 CDs just for one client).

Any suggestions?

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:03 AM   #2
dthomsen8

Default CD Tower from IKEA

I have a tower bookcase from IKEA for my software CDs, but it doesn't have drawers. It does have the benefit of being inexpensive, but I did have to attach it to the wall to keep it vertical. It has 12 shelves, with 15 full size CDs in each shelf. 180 CDs is a lot. Thin jewel cases provide even more storage than that. I have labeled some of the shelves, but it is difficult to get it organized.

One difficulty is that I am not ruthless enough with throwing away old software. You didn't say if your collection of CDs is software (becomes obsolete) or music (mostly remains useful).

You have brought up a good subject, but I doubt that my remarks are going to be much help to you.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:06 AM   #3
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene
Any suggestions?
Get one of those "DJ" aluminium suitcases - lots and lots of numbered sleeves hanging on rails, all dustfree because you can closes the suitcase; and it keep slots in a small volume. Just make sure you buld a catalog that refers the CDs to the sleeve numbers.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:40 AM   #4
Franca
Staff

I am keeping mine in (of all things) a Craftsman rollaway tool box:

http://tinyurl.com/n4xdu

It was my husband's idea and it has worked very well, but since it wasn't made for CD storage a bit of creativity was required - I made separators for filing by client or other designation and it's very easy to flip through them and find the ones I need. I use paper sleeves with windows rather than those slim cases, so I have more than enough room for our archive CDs. (But we probably don't have nearly as many as you do; I've never counted!) I use the top two drawers (with drawer organizers) for miscellaneous office supplies like pens, paper clips, staples, post-it notes, and so forth. The third drawer is perfect for archival floppies, zip, and optical disks I don't dare throw away.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:33 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
I am keeping mine in (of all things) a Craftsman rollaway tool box
I love those things. If we had a different kitchen, I would like to keep spices and such in one of those.

But your link produces a blank page for me, so I cannot properly admire your box!

Old 05-22-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

I use these--have 2--and the CDs fit perfectly...there's a little bit of space from side to side and above...I use the slimline CD cases and one drawer fits about 70 CDs so with 3 drawers, you should be able to store 210 CDs...

I found the first one I bought at either Staples or Office Depot but then I couldn't find them there anymore so I rooted around on the web and found Stacks & Stacks and ordered my 2nd one from them...

Hope that helps...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:10 PM   #7
marlene
Staff

A bookcase won't work, because I have no wall space available in my office. (Actually, there's no room anywhere else in the house, either!)

Some of the CDs are software (including stock art) and some are job files. I never throw away old software CDs. I had trouble installing a new version of Photoshop, and found out from Adobe tech support that I needed to insert the CD from the first full version (not an upgrade) of Photoshop I ever bought (version 3) to "qualify" to install the new upgrade.

Fortunately, I still had the version 3 CD, although Adobe would have given me a workaround.

I also never throw away the software boxes. I flatten them and stash 'em in the basement.

mxh
Old 05-22-2006, 10:10 PM   #8
marlene
Staff

Not a bad idea, but then I'd have the problem of where to store all the suitcases! And they might be kind of heavy for me to handle when they're full of CDs.

mxh
Old 05-22-2006, 10:16 PM   #9
marlene
Staff

Hmmm, you might have something there. I've always coveted those toolboxes -- thought they would be dandy for organizing my collection of costume jewelry!

Are the drawers deep enough for the CDs to sit up straight? How many CDs can you fit in a drawer?

I counted the CDs in one shoebox (which wasn't tightly packed) and there were 50. And I've got at least 20 shoeboxes, plus probably another 100 software/stock art CDs in a cabinet. (And I don't know how many in my two big CD binders -- but it's a lot.)

mxh
Old 05-22-2006, 10:19 PM   #10
marlene
Staff

I've got WAY more than 210 CDs. Probably well over 1,000.

I do have a couple of those plastic drawer storage units, but I keep my voluminous sock collection in them. <g>

And there wouldn't be room for more than two of them (if that) in my office.

mxh