DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 05-20-2006, 03:41 PM   #1
dthomsen8

Default No internal floppy disk

I opened up my wife's new WinXP computer to consider installing a floppy disk, but there doesn't seem to be any cable to use, or place to plug one in. I guess if I really want a floppy there, I have to spring for an external drive.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:04 PM   #2
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
to consider installing a floppy disk
One might ask why?
I think I finally got Bonnie using CDs and thumb drives instead of floppies.
I do have a USB external floppy for the odd circumstance.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:31 PM   #3
dthomsen8

Default Floppy for Resume

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary
One might ask why?
I think I finally got Bonnie using CDs and thumb drives instead of floppies.
I do have a USB external floppy for the odd circumstance.
My wife is getting help with revising her resume at the local community college, and they want it in MS Word format on a floppy. I imagine they will help her revise it when she visits them again next week.

The other two computers in our computer room have floppy disk drives, and two of them have Iomega 250Mb drives.

After posting my first message, I learn from the Internet that there are USB floppy disk drives for about $20, and "2X" drives for about $30. Sounds good to me. Now I am wondering if there are double speed drives for internal use.

Maybe my wife's case rates as an odd circumstance, but I needed floppy disks to submit homework in my Dreamweaver class last semester. I suspect that lots of home users don't need floppies at all, but we do.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:05 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Macs haven't had floppy drives for at least six years (since I bought my machine before this one, which is due for replacement).

Old 05-20-2006, 06:11 PM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

<< The other two computers in our computer room have floppy disk drives, and two of them have Iomega 250Mb drives. >>

Why not network them so that any computer can use the facilities of the other? My laptop can save to the desktop floppy drive and print to the printer attached to the desktop.

You can't the laptop boot from it but you can't boot from a USB floppy on all computers -- it depends on the BIOS being able to do this so check this out before buying a USB floppy (or a thimbdrive to boot from) if that is your need.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:50 PM   #6
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
I opened up my wife's new WinXP computer to consider installing a floppy disk, but there doesn't seem to be any cable to use, or place to plug one in. I guess if I really want a floppy there, I have to spring for an external drive.
All the libraries near me have computers with floppy drives and disc drives. Why not type it up on a disc and take it to the library, and then copy it to a floppy??

It's amazing the stuff I find at the library. I have a bunch near me, counting branch locations, all with different computers. (And yet, I really have trouble finding decent books. I got to buy them over the internet. I often miss being back east.) It's interesting to test new pages on different monitors at different libraries. It really gives me a different feeling about design.

Take care,

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:42 PM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>>After posting my first message, I learn from the Internet that there are USB floppy disk drives for about $20, and "2X" drives for about $30. Sounds good to me.

You might want to google the brand name to see if there are many complaints about the ones you're considering. The first one I bought was trash and so was the one they replaced it with. Spent a little more money, got a LaCie and haven't had any trouble with it.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:44 AM   #8
Michael Rowley

David:

Floppy disks are very usefull for small programs and document files, but a floppy disk formatted on one machine is very often (too often) unreadable on another. My two computers both take floppy disks, but transferring files from one machine to the other is extremely unreliable.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #9
dthomsen8

Default Somewhat unreliable

On occasion I have found the same problem, even with brand new disks formatted by the manufacturer.

If it is important to move files elsewhere, I either use a CD instead, or if I need to be able to write on the disk, to take two disks. I will take two disks with us containing my wife's resume.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:48 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
Floppy disks are very usefull for small programs and document files, but a floppy disk formatted on one machine is very often (too often) unreadable on another. My two computers both take floppy disks, but transferring files from one machine to the other is extremely unreliable.
That is odd. Wonder if it has to do with floppy quality.

Before the Mac abandoned floppies I had three or four machines sharing floppies (before I set up the network we used sneakernet). Furthermore, the one remaining floppy machine is able to read very old floppies (.8 and 1.4MB versions only). I used it on some old CompuServe files just a few months ago.