DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > How to Use the Forum

Old 05-20-2006, 08:36 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default No DTP Forum

For about an hour, I was getting No page found messages for this forum.

Maybe it is a domain name server problem near me, who knows?
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:11 AM   #2
Andrew B.
Staff

Same here. I think the server was down.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
For about an hour, I was getting No page found messages for this forum.

Maybe it is a domain name server problem near me, who knows?
No, the host was changing the backup server, he says.

We were out for a couple of hours.

Old 05-20-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
iamback

The DNS server was down.

This illustrates how risky it is to have two DNS servers with IP addresses in the same block - for desktoppublishingforum.com:
Code:
NS21.RWHMAX.COM [207.210.226.34]
NS22.RWHMAX.COM [207.210.226.35]
I sent a mail to the technical contact of the rwhmax.com domain, who replied:
Quote:
We are changing the backup drive on the server, will be back shortly.
Unfortunately, that suggests more problems:
  • not just the same IP block but (as I suspected) the same machine; and
  • that one machine doesn't seem to have hot-swappable disk either

I would suggest the forum sysops find a way to have the second DNS server at a physically different location - that would have prevented a problem like this.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:42 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
The DNS server was down.

This illustrates how risky it is to have two DNS servers with IP addresses in the same block . . .

• not just the same IP block but (as I suspected) the same machine; and
  • that one machine doesn't seem to have hot-swappable disk either
I would suggest the forum sysops find a way to have the second DNS server at a physically different location - that would have prevented a problem like this.
Thanks. And we know. I have been haunting DNS Report, and this host gets the worst report of any I use (TextDrive has no errors or warnings; and even GoDaddy has only a couple of errors).

I have asked this host about the single DNS server problem; we shall see how he responds.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:23 PM   #6
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
I have asked this host about the single DNS server problem; we shall see how he responds.
If the (webserver) host doesn't solve this, remember that you do not need your webserver host to provide DNS service - for that you can use an independent DNS service and you just need to know which IP address for the webserver to point it to. That may not be free (usually isn't) but would buy some peace of mind.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:54 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
If the (webserver) host doesn't solve this, remember that you do not need your webserver host to provide DNS service - for that you can use an independent DNS service and you just need to know which IP address for the webserver to point it to. That may not be free (usually isn't) but would buy some peace of mind.
Interesting. I wrote to our host today about four issues: open DNS servers; nameservers on same space; no SPF record; and extraordinarily high SOA refresh and expire times.

To his credit, he replied within a couple of hours, and had fixed all but the nameserver issue. I wrote back to ask if he could fix that and he said not at this time.

I know we can get DNS service from DNS Made Easy. What I haven’t figured out is how it all works and whether we can get (or need) managed/primary service or secondary; and whether we also need system monitoring. Since we are a small business, it is affordable.

But I know nothing about this company or this sort of service. Any advice?

Old 05-20-2006, 02:04 PM   #8
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
I know we can get DNS service from DNS Made Easy. What I haven’t figured out is how it all works and whether we can get (or need) managed/primary service or secondary; and whether we also need system monitoring. Since we are a small business, it is affordable.

But I know nothing about this company or this sort of service. Any advice?
They're on my list of bookmarked DNS services (and I recognize their site, I've poked around there before). But I have never set up DNS via an external DNS service so I have no experience with them or any other DNS provider - I just know a bit of theory.

I think secondary service would be sufficient, but their info suggests that is harder to set up; they have an import facility but that requires the current DNS server supports this - and if it doesn't you won't have access to change that so you'd have to use thir Wizard or manual setup.

Maybe Kelvyn could help?
Or send them an email explaining that you want to move one DNS server for this domain to an external service and ask how hard that would be to set up (do mention that you're on a hosted webserver now, etc.) - good to check to see how helpful they are anyway.