DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 05-17-2006, 02:16 AM   #1
Kelvyn
Staff

Default Google Notebook launched

Announced last week and now released, Google Notebooks is an on-line repository for notes, snippets & images from web pages.

The idea behind it is that you can use it to take notes about web pages , and copy snippets from those pages, and keep them in notebooks, which you can keep private, or make accessible to the public. A link to the page where you found the material makes it easy to return to the source of the information.

All this is managed via a browser plugin for IE6 (Windows) or Firefox 1.5+ (Windows & Linux). Apparently the FF extension may work on some Mac OSs, but other plugins may be developed.

At first glance this looks like a way to store the sort of little snippets you find on-line but don't want to store on you local PC. It also means that the notebook can be accessed from any pc you use, just via a browser.

I had been thinking about using Clipmarks, but that system seems to be overkill for my requirements. I have installed Google Notebook and will see how useful I find it.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:10 AM   #2
dthomsen8

Default Sounds good to me, let us know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
At first glance this looks like a way to store the sort of little snippets you find on-line but don't want to store on you local PC. It also means that the notebook can be accessed from any pc you use, just via a browser.
This seems like it is also has the potential to be organized better than my local hard drive, too. I assume it can also be shared, as well as made public.

Let us know how it works out for you, Kelvyn.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:17 AM   #3
Franca
Staff

Thanks, Kelvyn, for the info. That sounds like a potentially useful thing! Do let us know how you like it after you've used it awhile.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:06 AM   #4
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I'm just now trying it -- not exactly easy to get started with it until you find that the HELP can take you to:

http://www.google.com/googlenotebook...tensionsupport

FAQs -- so like on a web page you can right mouse click (including something highlighted) and there's a RMC entry for add to notebook:
"Note this (Google Notebook)"

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
diggal

Quote:
The idea behind it is that you can use it to take notes about web pages , and copy snippets from those pages, and keep them in notebooks, which you can keep private, or make accessible to the public. A link to the page where you found the material makes it easy to return to the source of the information.
Hey, you might like to check out Jeteye (www.Jeteye.com) too. Similar to Google notebooks, but allows you to tag your content and share it with others.
diggal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:07 PM   #6
Franca
Staff

I also decided to try it ... I think it's a serious flaw not to have links to the FAQs and Help readily available within your personal notebooks. I had a heck of a time finding my way back to a screen where those links showed up again.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:30 PM   #7
Kelvyn
Staff

I read the faq & help files before installing it - but it is beta and G will listen to feedback. I really like the simplicity, and the fact that I can have private and publicly available notebooks all with a common access. I can see SEM uses here......

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Old 05-18-2006, 01:34 PM   #8
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggal
Hey, you might like to check out Jeteye (www.Jeteye.com) too. Similar to Google notebooks, but allows you to tag your content and share it with others.
I don't want to tag & share, which is why I rejected ClipMarks. My need is to be able to quickly collect data from different sites for a project or article. Once a job is done the clips can be deleted. I may also build a personal resource of CSS, SEO snippets, something I already do, but just highlighting and using the RMB will be a lot easier than copying and pasting into my personal db.

Old 05-18-2006, 02:13 PM   #9
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
I also decided to try it ... I think it's a serious flaw not to have links to the FAQs and Help readily available within your personal notebooks. I had a heck of a time finding my way back to a screen where those links showed up again.
Just use the Help button on the bottom of the screen when notebook is open -- I thought it would be Help for Google in general but it takes you to Notebook FAQs.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:52 PM   #10
iamback

Quote:
I don't want to tag & share, which is why I rejected ClipMarks. My need is to be able to quickly collect data from different sites for a project or article. Once a job is done the clips can be deleted. I may also build a personal resource of CSS, SEO snippets, something I already do, but just highlighting and using the RMB will be a lot easier than copying and pasting into my personal db.
It sounds very interesting - but can't use it since I use Mozilla for all my real browsing and research.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote