DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 05-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
Kass Johns

Location: At the base of Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Default Forum Archives? Q-PostScript/ID CS2/HP 4M

Hi gang,

Yes, I'm back from the land of "in over my head -- too busy!" (at least for now). I came in search of thread archives to help me with my latest problem and can find no such archives. I am sure it has come up before, but based on the discussions sections, I cannot figure out what section I would even post my query...

I need to know if a solution is available for printing from inDesign CS2 to an HP 4M LaserJet. All I can find is to convert to a PDF and print from that PDF. I realize that the PostScript (L2) in the 4M seems to be just old enough to not work with ID CS2. Has anyone (Adobe or HP) created a "fix" yet or is it simply a matter of "buy a new printer"?

I was just looking for a cheap b/w laser printer for me to knock out flyers at the gallery without me having to use the inkjet ($$). Naturally, I want PostScript. Warren was gonna sell me his 4M for cheap to do such, but now I see this hiccup in the flow with that older PS version. Searching Adobe's and HP's website has yielded no discussion of the problem. I have picked up very few discussions elsewhere about this same prob, but no solution other than the PDF thing.

thanks in advance...

k
Kass Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kass Johns
I need to know if a solution is available for printing from inDesign CS2 to an HP 4M LaserJet. All I can find is to convert to a PDF and print from that PDF. I realize that the PostScript (L2) in the 4M seems to be just old enough to not work with ID CS2. Has anyone (Adobe or HP) created a "fix" yet or is it simply a matter of "buy a new printer"?
I do not remember anyone else mentioning this problem, which is probably why you didn’t find it on a search here.

I have printed directly (no PDF) to my 8 or 10-year-old LJ5000 from ID CS (not CS2) and don’t remember having any problems. I have CS2 but that printer is not available to me right now, or I would give it a test. Maybe others here with older printers and ID CS2 can see what happens for them.

Glad to see you’re still alive and kicking!

Old 05-15-2006, 07:08 AM   #3
Kass Johns

Ok, that's scary since I know that there are bunches of us with these old 4Ms out there. So, where would I post this query then? In what section? I have my error codes and PS version also to post.

And... are there archives in a separate place or are they just all within each section... at the bottom of the list?
Old 05-15-2006, 07:11 AM   #4
Kass Johns

Ooops, sorry KT, I just noticed that you already moved the thread...

sorry
k
Old 05-15-2006, 07:19 AM   #5
Kass Johns

Ok, (geez Kass, remember how threads work... duh!)...

Here is the PS error code and the version of PS on the 4M...

ERROR: typecheck
OFFENDING COMMAND: known

STACK:

/@shouldNotDisappearDictValue
true
/CTHasResourceForAllBug
false
false

PSVersion: 2011.110

According to a thread at another forum on the web, Adobe *guessed* it was the older rev of PSL2 that was at fault.

Anyone else see this problem and have a solution other than printing to PDF?

thanks

k
PS... Warren (my PS programmer friend) says he's too _retired_ now to know why that particular rev of PS is not working with it if Adobe doesn't even know!!! !!Pfffttt to him!!
Old 05-15-2006, 01:44 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

I don't have a solution to offer--I've got an HP6MP and IDCS1 (ID3.xx) and don't have any problems printing to it--but I wanted to say

Hi...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:49 PM   #7
Mike
Staff

I have no problems printing to a 4M from IDCS1. Could it be a memory overflow problem? Have you tried printing a very simple 1-page document with, say, just a few words in a single font?

I don't have IDCS2 but I might be able to download a demo version and try it out on my 4M.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:57 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

The Windows PS driver for most of these printers allows you to choose one of several different "flavors" of PS; archival, optimized for speed, optimized for portability, etc.

If you have choices, go for portability.

Check for error handling options; on my Mac, error reporting seems to be off by default. Try turning it on if it's not already. See if you get any interesting error pages.

Also, are you using EPS images? Are they binary? Try removing them from a copy of the document and see if that makes a diff.

Wear garlic. Make the sign of the pentangle. Candles. Black ones. Chickens.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:43 PM   #9
Kass Johns

Dang Steve, I would have sworn you'd have my magic answer!!! You are the PS "god" I was sure would know! [smile]

I tried a new doc with a single word "foo" in Times. That wouldn't print. I also tried a new doc with a line only and NO text. Same result.

Turning on the error page gave me the error mssg I reported in another reply (to myself).
===========
Here is the PS error code and the version of PS on the 4M...

ERROR: typecheck
OFFENDING COMMAND: known

STACK:

/@shouldNotDisappearDictValue
true
/CTHasResourceForAllBug
false
false
===============

PSVersion: 2011.110

BTW, I *am* working on a Mac iBook G4, also does same with my desktop G4. Two MacGeek friends had same situation with their 4Ms and both do the print-to-pdf,-then-to-printer "solution."

still bummed

k
Old 05-16-2006, 07:45 PM   #10
Kass Johns

Hi Mike,

Yep, the ID CS1 works a-ok according to website discussions elsewhere... it's ID CS2 that breaks.

k