DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 05-12-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Anyone use Tintbook?

I just found out about an interesting looking tool for specifying built (i.e. CMYK) colors in print jobs: Tintbooks. Each book (for coated or uncoated stocks) has more than 25,000 CMYK mixtures, along with color management information.

Sounds pretty useful to me, but I wonder if anyone here has tried it. Like Pantone books, they are pretty pricy ($80 each). Probably worth it, though, if you are doing a lot of processing printing and need to spec spot colors.

Old 05-13-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

But how is this differernt from the Pantone books--which I've never actually seen??? Don't they provide the same info???

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

Terrie if its what I think - u match the nearest tint in the book to a spot Pantone colour and use that CMYK MIX - instead of the Pantone mix which sometimes dont sem very close (or the colour you are matching may not be a Pantone colour anyway)
Peter
It really does depend though under what colour standard the book was printed for it to0 work
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:11 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
But how is this differernt from the Pantone books--which I've never actually seen??? Don't they provide the same info???
Not really. Instead of providing CMYK equivalents to PMS colors, you get a range of useful colors to choose from, all of which are based on CMYK inks in the first place.

If you need to match a Pantone color — with the inevitable compromises — you can make the choice, seeing how close you can come. (This assumes, of course, that you also have the Pantone books — of relatively recent vintage.)

My problem with the Pantone-to-CMYK books has always been that their formulas were not all that good. My printers used to give me formulas they worked out, and they were better than the “official” PMS books. In fact, we did better when I provided color pencil scribbles or paper samples to be matched.

(A good printer is worth his weight in gold, I must say!)

These books let you look at printed samples side by side.

Of course, if you do not have recent books from both entitles, all bets are off!

Old 05-14-2006, 08:04 AM   #5
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

Did u ever see Focul Tone - it was around in the 90's and was a set of colours based only on CMYK - they also had books with metalic silver and gold as the base colour - giving similar effects to MetalFX
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:14 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterArnel
Did u ever see Focul Tone - it was around in the 90's and was a set of colours based only on CMYK - they also had books with metalic silver and gold as the base colour - giving similar effects to MetalFX
When they worked. I have Focaltone (somewhere), and thought it was half mysticism. I could never figure out why calibrating color with my scanner would guarantee accurate color at the printer’s. And it was expensive as well as cumbersome to use.

I had pretty good luck with TruMatch, a set of swatches all created from CMYK mixtures. Not as glamorous as Focaltone but easy to use, and pretty accurate in my experience.

I also had the Pantone process color simulator book(s), and thought they did a poor job. But these were the first generation, and perhaps they have refined the formulas by now. (I got much better results from a sheet of handwritten simulations I got from a printer once — even on other presses.)

It’s odd — back in the 70s there were no references (that I knew of) for approximating PMS colors in CMYK. There was a gadget, a color wheel thing made of four layers of 10 tints each of C, M, Y, and K. You rotated the layers until you got a color you wanted, and copied out the percentages. It was crude, but not too bad, so long as you recognized how much extra yellowy black the plastic material added to each mixture.

Most of the time back then, though, I could create a swatch with colored pencils, crayon, or paint, or attach a scrap of paper or cloth, and the printer would match the color — usually very well. But it wasn’t all that common to need process-built spot colors as most of the small jobs were done in two-color anyway.

I used to have fun using two PMS colors (no black) — inky blue and deep green, say, so I could use the solids for text and tints for backgrounds or color-mixing. Sometimes a disaster, but I used to know some Pantone colors that worked pretty well.

All a long, long time ago.

Old 05-14-2006, 03:45 PM   #7
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
I used to have fun using two PMS colors (no black) — inky blue and deep green, say, so I could use the solids for text and tints for backgrounds or color-mixing. Sometimes a disaster, but I used to know some Pantone colors that worked pretty well.

All a long, long time ago.
Designed two food packaging lines of canned (tinned, for those outside North America ) Italian tomato products. The printing was limited to a maximum of three colors, so I used PMS 485 red and 347 green (mimicking Italian flag colors) and the white laid down over the entire metal surface as background. In that printing process 100% each of 485 and 347 mixed up so dark that it effectively came out black and looking at the packs you'd swear four colors were used: red, green, white, black. Worked a treat.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:25 AM   #8
Norman Hathaway

TruMatch was great.
I agree that the Pantone to CMYK books are lousy (still are).
I find InDesign does a btter job, but I will always look up the tint combo it recommends in order to verify that I'm happy with it.

The Pantone swatch book I liked was the one printed on clear film. I used it to see what colors look like when overprinting, or when printing on colored paper stock.

Thanks for the heads up on Tintbook KT.
Norman Hathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:34 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Hathaway
TruMatch was great.
I agree that the Pantone to CMYK books are lousy (still are).
I find InDesign does a btter job, but I will always look up the tint combo it recommends in order to verify that I'm happy with it.

Thanks for the heads up on Tintbook KT.
Is TruMatch gone? I still use the books.

You’ll have to let us know how good Tintbook is — I’ve only seen it described.

Old 05-15-2006, 02:17 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
peter: u match the nearest tint in the book to a spot Pantone colour and use that CMYK MIX
Got it...thanks...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote