DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 05-10-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Berling reborn in OT format

This month’s LinoLetter features a new cut of Berling, dubbed Berling Nova — Sweden’s most famous and enduring typeface, designed in the 1950s by Karl-Erik Forsberg.

I have always liked Berling, and used it eons ago for a small job, a series of pamphlets. With this version Linotype says it has revised the font slightly, making it look more like the original metal version, and has added a display roman and italic. It is an OpenType family with six fonts, $35 U.S. each.

Berling is a decent book face, could work in magazines and in ads. It is very readable and has a fresh look, partly because it is so rarely used, partly because of its open design.

I have no idea what the entire family costs because the Linotype web site is so badly designed that I cannot find it. But there is probably some discount for the entire family.

Last edited by ktinkel; 05-11-2006 at 01:14 PM. Reason: add Nova to font name
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
I have always liked Berling, and used it eons ago for a small job, a series of pamphlets. With this version Linotype says it has revised the font slightly, making it look more like the original metal version, and has added a display roman and italic. It is an OpenType family with six fonts, $35 U.S. each.

(...)

I have no idea what the entire family costs because the Linotype web site is so badly designed that I cannot find it. But there is probably some discount for the entire family.
Six? I find only four, and no package deal: http://www.linotype.com/133/berling-family.html

Looking at the samples I don't particularly like it though.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #3
Michael Rowley

KT:

I have always liked Berling

I like Berling Nova very much (possibly because you don't find anything but stumpy ascenders). I couldn't make out the price for the set either, having only just received the Linotype letter, but I suspect you have to travel a bit more along the 'purchase' road to find out.

One thing: they say the typeface is in six 'weights': actually, the only weights it's got (not counting the display face) is two, regular and bold; the other 'weights' are of the italic face. Thomas Phineas commented on the use of the description 'weight' a couple of months ago (in his blog).

Old 05-10-2006, 02:26 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
Six? I find only four, and no package deal: http://www.linotype.com/133/berling-family.html
That would be the older family. Berling Nova has six members, and is slightly different.

Old 05-10-2006, 03:40 PM   #5
Michael Rowley

KT:

Berling Nova has six members, and is slightly different

Apart from being updated, the Berling Nova has not only the regular and bold (and the equivalent italics), but also a very refined display weight, in roman & italic. I wonder from what size the display is recommended: can you give us an idea of it?

Old 05-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
Apart from being updated, the Berling Nova has not only the regular and bold (and the equivalent italics), but also a very refined display weight, in roman & italic. I wonder from what size the display is recommended: can you give us an idea of it?
Since I have not used the fonts, I cannot say for sure. But any size much above the teens — 14 point, 18 point, somewhere in there — is where I would look for a difference.

Old 05-10-2006, 05:43 PM   #7
Gerry Kowarsky

What do you think of Berling's exclamation point? It's a bit too jaunty for my taste.
Gerry Kowarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:50 AM   #8
donmcc

True, but the Phinney blog, if I recall correctly, never came up with a definitive term that we could use in place of weights when referring to the members of a typeface. There are so many technically incorrect terms in typography from font, to point, to ??? that I am not bothered by the use of weight to include italics and obliques.
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:04 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Kowarsky
What do you think of Berling's exclamation point? It's a bit too jaunty for my taste.
Maybe it is designed that way to discourage its use!

It is jaunty, as you put it. The italic is identical, just canted over a bit. It looks that way in my old Adobe Berling, so it wasn’t added to the new Nova version. (There is a visible difference in weight in the two faces, however.)

The Berling exclamation point reminds me of the standard g in Galliard italic (though there is an alternate for that, much more “normal” looking).

Attaching a couple of small images, so everyone will know what we are muttering about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	berlingbang.png
Views:	95
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	549   Click image for larger version

Name:	galliard_g.png
Views:	104
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	550  

Old 05-11-2006, 07:44 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
One thing: they say the typeface is in six 'weights': actually, the only weights it's got (not counting the display face) is two, regular and bold; the other 'weights' are of the italic face.
I’m not sure why, but referring to the members of a type family as weights has been common usage for a long time. When I was learning about type, I asked several typographers and type designers about it, and they all, essentially, just shrugged.

Using style instead of weight is possible, though that too is not quite right.