DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 05-08-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
Bo Aakerstrom

Default Info from form to database

Does ayone know where I can find out about getting info from a form into a database? Using the info won't be a problem, I've got that bit sorted out.

I realise that I would want to have the option to decide to save or scrap an entry manually, as I don't want to be swamped by spam.

Any thoughts about this that might be good for me to know?

Old 05-08-2006, 10:35 AM   #2
gary

"save or scrap an entry manually"?
Are you referring to a web server form or an e-mail form?
For a web form you would use CGI/PHP/ASP/... to capture the form variables, validate them and write them into a MySQL/Postgresql/Oracle/MSSQL database.

"PHP MySQL Website Programming" by Lea, Buzzard, White-Cinis, Thomas (WROX).
"PHP and PostgreSQL" by Geschwinde and Schonig (SAMS).

The "Ruby on Rails" intro has you saving form data in a few minutes.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Aakerstrom
I realise that I would want to have the option to decide to save or scrap an entry manually, as I don't want to be swamped by spam.
Rather than filtering manually, you could save yourself a lot of trouble and time by letting your webserver do a lot of filtering for you before saving it in a database.

For instance, set a limit to the number of URLs a message may contain. More than that and you'll just let it quietly disappear into the bit bucket. Another trick is to use a cookie - serve a cookie (with random content) when displaying the page with the form, and make that cookie also a hidden field in the form; when receiving the data, check whether the cookie was sent back and matches the field in the form: that will defeat most form-posting scripts.

I'm simplifying a bit (but not a lot!), but you get the idea. It needs to be programmed (but so does putting data into a database) but once there it will save tons of time and aggravation. On the Wikka Wiki site we have a similar system in place that keeps practically all spam out of the system.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:11 PM   #4
Bo Aakerstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary
The "Ruby on Rails" intro has you saving form data in a few minutes.
Thank's Gary, already had a quick look at Ruby on Rails and the two titles you mention sounds like worthwhile to look into as well.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:16 PM   #5
Bo Aakerstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
Rather than filtering manually, you could save yourself a lot of trouble and time by letting your webserver do a lot of filtering for you before saving it in a database.

For instance, set a limit to the number of URLs a message may contain. More than that and you'll just let it quietly disappear into the bit bucket. Another trick is to use a cookie - serve a cookie (with random content) when displaying the page with the form, and make that cookie also a hidden field in the form; when receiving the data, check whether the cookie was sent back and matches the field in the form: that will defeat most form-posting scripts.

I'm simplifying a bit (but not a lot!), but you get the idea. It needs to be programmed (but so does putting data into a database) but once there it will save tons of time and aggravation. On the Wikka Wiki site we have a similar system in place that keeps practically all spam out of the system.
As usual, I can comprehend about half of what you are suggesting! But I do get the idea...

Thank's for pointing me in the right direction.

Something to get stuck into next week.

Old 05-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
gary

FWIW: I found that the most expedient method of avoiding form-spam is to check that the referrer is the expected submission page; whenever I've been called in to fix a form-spam problem the log typically shows no or the wrong referring page. (These are all sites where the form goes to a specific non-disclosed e-mail address list)
Old 05-08-2006, 05:23 PM   #7
iamback

Quote:
FWIW: I found that the most expedient method of avoiding form-spam is to check that the referrer is the expected submission page; whenever I've been called in to fix a form-spam problem the log typically shows no or the wrong referring page. (These are all sites where the form goes to a specific non-disclosed e-mail address list)
Referrer is actually very unreliable. many browsers offer the option of not sending it, and many security systems also hide it - often without their user knowing or understanding. It may even be part of a corporate sytem or policy and outside of the user's control.

I'll bet you'll have an easier job explaining cookies need to be accepted than that the referrer needs to be sent - let alone how to configure that, if it is in the user's power at all.
  • If the referrer is there and doesn't match: wrong
  • If the referrer is there and matches: right
  • If the referrer isn't there: use something else!

(BTW checking for a referrer is also often used to avoid images from being "stolen" - the good routines for that do take into account that referrer may not be there and that this actually is a valid situation.)

Old 05-08-2006, 09:40 PM   #8
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
Referrer is actually very unreliable.
In this case the existing logs indicated referrer in every valid case and none in the spam cases - confirmed by observing the preceeding (or lack thereof) retrieval of the submittal page.

But -- noting that I said it was "expedient" -- you are correct in that referrer is not absolutely reliable.

(I only get called in -- to make a quick-fix -- on those sites when the site builder is in over his head. To make things worse some of the sites were in CFM - with which I was only tangentially familiar.)
Old 05-09-2006, 02:07 AM   #9
iamback

Quote:
(I only get called in -- to make a quick-fix -- on those sites when the site builder is in over his head. To make things worse some of the sites were in CFM - with which I was only tangentially familiar.)
ColdFusion? Somewhat powerful, but oh, so ugly. It looks like programming but isn't. OK (but far from easy any more) if you come from a markup background, endlessly confusing if you come from a programming background. Been there, done that (cause I had to), won't go back (if I can avoid it).

Old 05-09-2006, 08:38 AM   #10
dthomsen8

Default PHP/MySQL is a good way to go.

PHP/MySQL for capturing information from a form is a good way to go, and can include a good deal of data checking, too. There are good canned procedures and good explanations in books, so you don't have to learn a lot of PHP to get it going. Just be careful to get the user name and password requirements of your web hosting company right.

I did one a few years ago, but my client required some complex results, as well as data checking, so it took me a while to get it right.

Let us know which way you go.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote