DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 05-05-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Help!! Partition Mac hard drive?

I know that Disk First Aid used to include a Partition option; I’ve used it. The Help file says it is there. And David Pogue’s The Missing Manual for Tiger has a picture of it.

But I don’t see it in Disk First Aid, neither the one on my boot drive nor the one on the Tiger startup disk.

I partitioned this drive in the past (perhaps it was with Panther, not Tiger). And a few months ago I cleared it out and unpartitioned it, which turned out to be a huge mistake for me. I want my partitions back!!

But now I am worried that something dire has happened to my system. Or that I am losing my mind (good thing I have that Pogue picture for reassurance!) Or that Apple in its infinite wisdom decided we should not partition drives, and pulled the function (but why not fix the Help file, then; would take a minute and cost about 56 cents!)

Old 05-05-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Is your disk currently partitioned? If not, the Partition utility isn't available in Disk Utilities. If it is partitioned, then the Partition utility appears when you select the disk (but not if you click on one of the partitions).

Old 05-05-2006, 02:35 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
Is your disk currently partitioned? If not, the Partition utility isn't available in Disk Utilities. If it is partitioned, then the Partition utility appears when you select the disk (but not if you click on one of the partitions).
It was once partitioned but I erased it a few months ago. And then I erased it today. It is a single entity, and I selected it before hoping for the Partition option.

Maybe I need to select one of those security options? Make good and darn sure the partitions are gone? Maybe it has ghost partitions?

Old 05-05-2006, 05:52 PM   #4
Shane Stanley
Staff

Apparently you can re-partition without erasing your disk by using Boot Camp and then not going through with the install. You can even head down the road with it and I can have a look...

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stanley
Apparently you can re-partition without erasing your disk by using Boot Camp and then not going through with the install. You can even head down the road with it and I can have a look...
Well, I spent 3 hours tonight using the 7X erase, hoping that would work, to no avail.

So — what is Boot Camp?

Old 05-05-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
Shane Stanley
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
So — what is Boot Camp?
The software for installing Windows on a Mac. But I just realised it probably won't even run on a non-Intel Mac.

Shane (in NJ)
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 01:48 AM   #7
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
It was once partitioned but I erased it a few months ago. And then I erased it today. It is a single entity, and I selected it before hoping for the Partition option.
That's why it's not showing the Partition option. I think you need to reformat it to get the Partition option.

Quote:
Maybe I need to select one of those security options? Make good and darn sure the partitions are gone? Maybe it has ghost partitions?
No – it thinks you have a formatted, partitioned drive with only one partition. Hence no Partition options.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:42 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stanley
The software for installing Windows on a Mac. But I just realised it probably won't even run on a non-Intel Mac.
Thanks.

I was thinking I needed to reformat the drive, so will rummage through Pogue to see how to do that.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:48 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
That's why it's not showing the Partition option. I think you need to reformat it to get the Partition option.

No – it thinks you have a formatted, partitioned drive with only one partition. Hence no Partition options.
I came to the same conclusion. It used to be easy to reformat; now I will have to figure it out.

Pogue says to look at Disk Utility > Erase. Only problem is that reformat is not an option there.

Guess I’ll go googling.

Old 05-06-2006, 06:01 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
you need to reformat it to get the Partition option.
Maybe so. However, there seems to be no way to reformat a drive with Disk Utility. I found an article on the web which describes the process all right — but the guy only erased the drive so far as I can see.

And in any event doing what he describes repeatedly has not given me a partitionable drive.

This is making me nuts. Suppose I can live with one 80GB drive, but I seriously hated it.

Could I install a System in a folder? That would help somewhat — the system-related files all over a huge drive were a royal pain.