DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 05-05-2006, 02:15 AM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default MacBook Pro 17"

So am I mad to be lusting after this machine with 2 gigs of memory and a 23" monitor attached?

If I do get one, should I keep my trusty IBM ThinkPad T22? I do quite often transfer files from one to the other, and have some memories of frustration from the days when I used Windows emulation software on previous Macs.

Old 05-05-2006, 07:05 AM   #2
Michael Rowley

Ann:

So am I mad to be lusting after this machine with 2 gigs of memory and a 23" monitor attached?

It's very well spoken of here (in PC magazines!).

Old 05-05-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

If I were you I'd wait before getting one, particularly if you use Adobe software, until Adobe release a Universal Binary upgrade. I've seen Rosetta running (if you can call wading through treacle running), and it's desperately slow.
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 12:37 AM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall
If I were you I'd wait before getting one, particularly if you use Adobe software, until Adobe release a Universal Binary upgrade. I've seen Rosetta running (if you can call wading through treacle running), and it's desperately slow.
Hmm, and they don't even mention BBEdit on Macintouch. If it won't run BBEdit, I won't buy it.

Old 05-06-2006, 02:42 AM   #5
Shane Stanley
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
Hmm, and they don't even mention BBEdit on Macintouch. If it won't run BBEdit, I won't buy it.
From the Bare Bones Web site on BBEdit 8.2.5: "This version is a Universal Binary for both PowerPC-based and Intel-based Macs." So it probably screams on the MacIntels.

My sense is that Photoshop is the app that suffers most. I was hoping to play with one this week -- Ray Robertson ordered one, but cancelled when they couldn't deliver on time.

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 04:51 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Yep. Crazy as a loon.

Never buy version 1 of any new computer, especially not one that is so different as this one — at least not if you intend to use it for actual work. Lots of stuff won’t work, and you will be that fabled pioneer with all the arrows in your back!

Old 05-06-2006, 01:12 PM   #7
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stanley
From the Bare Bones Web site on BBEdit 8.2.5: "This version is a Universal Binary for both PowerPC-based and Intel-based Macs." So it probably screams on the MacIntels.

My sense is that Photoshop is the app that suffers most. I was hoping to play with one this week -- Ray Robertson ordered one, but cancelled when they couldn't deliver on time.
Hmm, Photoshop is pretty important to me, so that's a bit of a bummer. Maybe I should wait for the next round.

Did you end up replacing your desktop with a laptop? I remember you saying quite some time ago (three years?) that you were seriously considering it.

Old 05-06-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
Shane Stanley
Staff

Quote:
Did you end up replacing your desktop with a laptop?
Yes. I ran an early TiBook with my 21-inch monitor for a couple of years. I then upgraded to a newer 15-inch model, with higher resolution. I ran it once with the 21-inch monitor, and decided not to bother. So I've been working solely on my portable (1.65GHz G4) since. I don't think I'll ever go back to a desktop.

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #9
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stanley
Yes. I ran an early TiBook with my 21-inch monitor for a couple of years. I then upgraded to a newer 15-inch model, with higher resolution. I ran it once with the 21-inch monitor, and decided not to bother. So I've been working solely on my portable (1.65GHz G4) since. I don't think I'll ever go back to a desktop.
I worked three days a week with an IBM laptop for two and a half years, and have to admit that I rarely missed the monitor. And that was without a keyboard. I'm using that laptop at home now whenever I need a Windows box, but with a Mac keyboard. That confuses any Windows-type people who ever try to use it...

So I'm not a total stranger to working every day on a laptop. I suppose what I should do is look at the relative prices; it's not as if I regularly need to take my Mac around with me, and the current desktop hasn't really given me any problems.