DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2006, 09:56 PM   #1
dacoyle
Member
 
dacoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)
Posts: 560
Default Thank You

Still have a LOT of content to add, but thanks to the help of this forums wonderful regulars, I launched http://www.chriszimmerman.org/index.html Wednesday night.

Once again, thanks to all of you that helped with the tweaks and the fixes.

To me, the most amazing part of this site was using black and grays as the accent colors. I didn't think it would work when I got the request; the campaign color was red; they asked for a less-bright red for the web site, but no other main colors other than black. They agreed to let me use some grays also. And despite what I thought, it works.

   
__________________
Dennis
dacoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:41 PM   #2
iamback
Member
 
iamback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Posts: 4,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoyle
Still have a LOT of content to add, but thanks to the help of this forums wonderful regulars, I launched http://www.chriszimmerman.org/index.html Wednesday night.

Once again, thanks to all of you that helped with the tweaks and the fixes.
Not to forget all the various skills and experience we bring together here. Whatever your question of problem, you're almost certain to get a helpful reply here. Not being a fan of web-based forums, I was doubtful when I joined, but it's quickly become a "home" like the old INETPUB was for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoyle
To me, the most amazing part of this site was using black and grays as the accent colors. I didn't think it would work when I got the request; the campaign color was red; they asked for a less-bright red for the web site, but no other main colors other than black. They agreed to let me use some grays also. And despite what I thought, it works.
Definitely!

(One thing I note though: now the the sidebar red doesn't extend down any longer it shows that the sidebar really is partly overlapping the content area - visible only when the content is lionger than the sidebar but a little jarring.)

   
__________________
Marjolein Katsma
Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces (soon!), My ArtFlakes shop and Flickr.
Occasionally I am also connecting online dots... and sometimes you can follow me on Marjolein's Travel Blog
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:52 PM   #3
dacoyle
Member
 
dacoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)
Posts: 560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
Not to forget all the various skills and experience we bring together here. Whatever your question of problem, you're almost certain to get a helpful reply here. Not being a fan of web-based forums, I was doubtful when I joined, but it's quickly become a "home" like the old INETPUB was for me.
Definitely

Quote:
(One thing I note though: now the the sidebar red doesn't extend down any longer it shows that the sidebar really is partly overlapping the content area - visible only when the content is lionger than the sidebar but a little jarring.)

   
__________________
Dennis

Last edited by ktinkel; 05-04-2006 at 06:07 AM. Reason: fix quote
dacoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #4
dacoyle
Member
 
dacoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)
Posts: 560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
Not to forget all the various skills and experience we bring together here. Whatever your question of problem, you're almost certain to get a helpful reply here. Not being a fan of web-based forums, I was doubtful when I joined, but it's quickly become a "home" like the old INETPUB was for me.

Definitely
Many of the INETPUB regulars are here, which is why this is a valuable forum.

Quote:
l(One thing I note though: now the the sidebar red doesn't extend down any onger it shows that the sidebar really is partly overlapping the content area - visible only when the content is lionger than the sidebar but a little jarring.)
That should be lining up now.

We got DTP feedback in the old INETPUB, but we seem to get more now. I find that usefuil.

   
__________________
Dennis
dacoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:45 AM   #5
iamback
Member
 
iamback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Posts: 4,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoyle
We got DTP feedback in the old INETPUB, but we seem to get more now. I find that usefuil.
Oh yes! Typographic principles do apply to web page design and we have more eyeballs schooled in typography here! There's a useful cross-pollination now that we never could have had on the old separate CIS forums.

   
__________________
Marjolein Katsma
Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces (soon!), My ArtFlakes shop and Flickr.
Occasionally I am also connecting online dots... and sometimes you can follow me on Marjolein's Travel Blog
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:16 AM   #6
George
Member
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoyle
Still have a LOT of content to add, but thanks to the help of this forums wonderful regulars, I launched http://www.chriszimmerman.org/index.html Wednesday night.

Once again, thanks to all of you that helped with the tweaks and the fixes.

To me, the most amazing part of this site was using black and grays as the accent colors. I didn't think it would work when I got the request; the campaign color was red; they asked for a less-bright red for the web site, but no other main colors other than black. They agreed to let me use some grays also. And despite what I thought, it works.
Dang!! This site is not just a nice layout, but it is substance, not rhetoric. I always knew the Democratcs could do it if they wanted to. I think, with the exception of Bill Clinton, the reliance on rhetoric alone has been the main problem with Democratic politics, or perhaps, as Carville puts it, "we need a narrative." This site could be examplary for more than one reason.


Take care now,

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:51 AM   #7
dacoyle
Member
 
dacoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)
Posts: 560
Default

George,

I'll pass that along to the candidate. All of our local Dems are wonderful people and not stereotypical politicians. I'm on a first name basis with most of my elected officials up thru state Senators and my US rep has told me I can call him Jim.

We may have around 200,000 people in Arlington, but we also have a small town community attitude.

   
__________________
Dennis
dacoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:28 PM   #8
dacoyle
Member
 
dacoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)
Posts: 560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
Oh yes! Typographic principles do apply to web page design and we have more eyeballs schooled in typography here! There's a useful cross-pollination now that we never could have had on the old separate CIS forums.
Many apply, not all, but the good folks here are among the rare breed of DTP professionals that they know the difference. And I think a few of them, at least, learned at least some of it from our old forum. It has really created a unique resource for web site review.

   
__________________
Dennis
dacoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:44 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoyle
Many apply, not all . . .
Actually, typographic principles deal especially with readability, and the web screen is a readability problem. Like low-res printing, faxing, billboards, video, etc.

What typographic principle do you think is inapplicable to web sites?

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 12:36 AM   #10
George
Member
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoyle
George,

I'll pass that along to the candidate. All of our local Dems are wonderful people and not stereotypical politicians. I'm on a first name basis with most of my elected officials up thru state Senators and my US rep has told me I can call him Jim.

We may have around 200,000 people in Arlington, but we also have a small town community attitude.
In the long run politicians will always disappoint you. They have to be superficial to get elected, but they have good ways of hiding it at first. The true struggle of our generation is Constitutional interpretation. It's like the Jim Carey movie -- The Majestic. With the head of Cicero the Roman republic fell.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.