DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing β€” in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2006, 11:41 AM   #1
PeterArnel
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds
Posts: 997
Default cAPS lOCK

cAN i RANT ABOUT THE POSITION OF THE CAPS LOCK ON THE KEYBOARD AND i AM FED UP OF THE AMOUNT OF TIMES i HAVE IT ON AND WHEN I LOOK UP AT THE SCREEN FIND IT LOOKS LIKE THIS - DOES ANYONE REALLY HAVE IT ON ALL THE TIMES THESE DAYS
pETER
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
iamback
Member
 
iamback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Posts: 4,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterArnel
cAN i RANT ABOUT THE POSITION OF THE CAPS LOCK ON THE KEYBOARD AND i AM FED UP OF THE AMOUNT OF TIMES i HAVE IT ON AND WHEN I LOOK UP AT THE SCREEN FIND IT LOOKS LIKE THIS - DOES ANYONE REALLY HAVE IT ON ALL THE TIMES THESE DAYS
pETER
mINE MAKES A SOUND - WHICH i DON'T HEAR WHEN LISTENING TO THE (INTERNET) RADIO, WHICH IS PRACTICALLY ALL THE TIME. aND i'M A TERRIBLE YPTIST ANYWAY.

   
__________________
Marjolein Katsma
Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces (soon!), My ArtFlakes shop and Flickr.
Occasionally I am also connecting online dots... and sometimes you can follow me on Marjolein's Travel Blog
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterArnel
cAN i RANT ABOUT THE POSITION OF THE CAPS LOCK ON THE KEYBOARD AND i AM FED UP OF THE AMOUNT OF TIMES i HAVE IT ON AND WHEN I LOOK UP AT THE SCREEN FIND IT LOOKS LIKE THIS - DOES ANYONE REALLY HAVE IT ON ALL THE TIMES THESE DAYS
Sure, when I need to type all caps.

But you’re right β€” in most contexts I do not type caps, I let stylesheets do it (both in print and for the web).

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
Kelvyn
Staff
 
Kelvyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the Heart of the English Lake District
Posts: 1,381
Default

All you need is a little free utility called CapsUnlock which works fine on Windows machines. Turns off caps locking; a double click on the icon in the system tray disables the program and allows caps lock to be turned on.

   
__________________
Kelvyn

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:54 PM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
mINE MAKES A SOUND - WHICH i DON'T HEAR WHEN LISTENING TO THE (INTERNET) RADIO, WHICH IS PRACTICALLY ALL THE TIME. aND i'M A TERRIBLE YPTIST ANYWAY.
Mike Lin has a utility ITK which puts a beep in when you hit INSERT and toggle to Overwrite without knowing it.


Insert ToggleKey itk_setup.exe (77kb Self-Extracting Setup)



Ever accidentally turn on overtype, and as a result typed over half a sentence? ITK sounds a tone whenever you press Insert.


He has done a neat range of utilities including a Startup Control that is much nicer for dealing with the Startup entries than msconfig -- for one thing you can delete entries altogether, not just uncheck them.

   
__________________


Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:32 PM   #6
PeterArnel
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds
Posts: 997
Default

OK
so if anyone from MS is listening lets move the caps lock to a fn key function because it pETER
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:23 PM   #7
George
Member
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
All you need is a little free utility called CapsUnlock which works fine on Windows machines. Turns off caps locking; a double click on the icon in the system tray disables the program and allows caps lock to be turned on.
Thank you, Kelvyn. It still amazes me the stuff I learn at this forum, or in the past it was INETPUP. This accidental caps lock had just become a struggle for me, as I had changed how I use my keyboard to a neater system.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:25 PM   #8
George
Member
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith
Mike Lin has a utility ITK which puts a beep in when you hit INSERT and toggle to Overwrite without knowing it.

Insert ToggleKey itk_setup.exe (77kb Self-Extracting Setup)



Ever accidentally turn on overtype, and as a result typed over half a sentence? ITK sounds a tone whenever you press Insert.


He has done a neat range of utilities including a Startup Control that is much nicer for dealing with the Startup entries than msconfig -- for one thing you can delete entries altogether, not just uncheck them.
This looks like a neat website. So have you even tried some of the other programs. Which others do you like??

Thanks,
George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:42 PM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,712
Default

I think there may be keyboard remapping utilities that'd let you map the caps lock key to ... um. Something else. Shift perhaps?

Or you could pry the key off the keyboard, squirt in some glue then put it back in.

Or rewind 40 years to when you were bored out of your mind one summer with nothing to do but take a typing class, so when you get back you can touch type while watching the screen.

   
__________________
Steve Rindsberg
====================
www.pptfaq.com
www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:57 PM   #10
iamback
Member
 
iamback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Posts: 4,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
All you need is a little free utility called CapsUnlock which works fine on Windows machines. Turns off caps locking; a double click on the icon in the system tray disables the program and allows caps lock to be turned on.
I didn't know this existed - thanks. I've just installed it. By default it also disables the Insert key, which I immediately turned off since I really do use that (and only rarely toggle it by mistake). Now let's see how I like it... Caps now only makes the "turnnig on" sound, but has no effect. Fine so far.

   
__________________
Marjolein Katsma
Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces (soon!), My ArtFlakes shop and Flickr.
Occasionally I am also connecting online dots... and sometimes you can follow me on Marjolein's Travel Blog
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drop caps in Indesign hsannerh Print Design 2 01-04-2007 08:48 PM
Mac Mini Lock-Up Gerry Kowarsky General Publishing Topics 32 04-11-2006 08:01 PM
HTML for small caps George Web Site Building & Maintenance 20 03-29-2005 05:15 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.