DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > On Language & Literature

Old 04-22-2006, 04:36 AM   #1
Bo Aakerstrom

Default Spelling doesn't matter...

Had a rummage around on Joomla's demo site when I spotted this information about the importance of correct spelling - and it seems to be true as well!

Just discovered the newsflash changes, I suspect it will return at some point but here's what it is about:

As long as the first and last letters in a word are in the right place we can read it even if the remaining letters are messed up (as long as they are there).

The news flash was written that way, just to prove the point...

Last edited by Bo Aakerstrom; 04-22-2006 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Too quick to post!
Bo Aakerstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:57 AM   #2
Richard Waller

What a curious site. It seems to be locked into a set width, which is not wide enough to display the material without scrolling sideways. How do they do that? Or perhaps the question should be Why?

They are quite right, you can make out the meaning from the letters in Newsflash 3. That is not to say that it is easy. Acceptable spelling is vital. Otherwise those few of us that can spell will stop at the first and each misspelling and worry. Search Engines will not accept sites that have poor spelling. And no, I do not like TXT cos I have to stop and use my crossword brain for each word.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 10:17 AM   #3
Bo Aakerstrom

I agree that it is a bit taxing on the old brain to read it.

I did find it interesting that it is possible to make sense of jumbled up words though, perhaps a reversal of what dyslexic people do?

A friend of mine is, which probably why I found this interesting in the first place, and she suffers from ADD as well. Not a good combination.

(She is a lorry driver and whilst she can find her way to anywhere in country she often have to ask how to get back out to the road from the yard where she has made the delivery).

Old 04-23-2006, 04:22 AM   #4
dthomsen8

Default Curious Site - Joomla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Waller
What a curious site. It seems to be locked into a set width, which is not wide enough to display the material without scrolling sideways. How do they do that? Or perhaps the question should be Why?
Worse, in Firefox I don't see how I get to scroll at all. These people are promoting their software, but apparently don't have their own act together.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:18 PM   #5
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

In Print Week about a year ago ( I cant remember his name - but he writes a brilliant column ) he wrote about this research from Cambridge
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 02:56 PM   #6
Michael Rowley

Peter:

he wrote about this research from Cambridge

I suppose that now that Ph.D.s are practically two for a penny, they must be scratching around for doctoral theses. But after all, people could communicate perfectly well when there was no such thing (in English) as a standard 'orthography': they just wrote down how they thought words sounded. Modern telephone texting is based on the same principle.

Old 04-23-2006, 11:29 PM   #7
Richard Waller

Interesting also is the way people skim an article and get the sense from just a few words. A good technique for the tabloid papers, not so clever when reading Shakespear.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:50 AM   #8
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Aakerstrom
The news flash was written that way, just to prove the point...
That one's been round for a long time as well as one showing gradual simplification (Zipf effect) of language; I'm still hunting in my e-mail archives for the messages.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:24 AM   #9
Cristen Gillespie

What's easy about reading the "newsflash" is the language is common. No jargon. No new concepts. This is plain English and we can anticipate, not merely read. I could read it almost as quickly as properly spelled English, without any hesitation, but that was primarily because there were no surprises. The "clues" were adequate to the content.

Of course, I could be wrong and I am unusual in finding this kind of misspelled English easy to read due to some brain scramble of my own<BG>, but I think we have to consider content when we talk about how easy or difficult it is to read.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:49 AM   #10
Bo Aakerstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen Gillespie
I think we have to consider content when we talk about how easy or difficult it is to read.
As someone whose first language isn't English I have to agree!

I don't know how well this would work if there are letters missing though.

Knowing the words doesn't mean you know the language and often there are references to expressions that doesn't mean much to "foreigners" like me.