DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 04-20-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Opera 9 Beta available

I don't know when I'll have a chance to test it, but I post this in case someone else wants to give is a shot. If you do, please post your impressions.

http://opera.com/pressreleases/en/2006/04/20/
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:04 AM   #2
Kelvyn
Staff

I have had Opera9 Build 8212 installled here for a couple of weeks, but have only used it for site checking, not for browsing, so I have not explored its Widgets etc.. It does show improvements over 8.xx in its handling of AJAX and embedded objects, which is the area for which I have been testing.

I still prefer FireFox - although IE7 Beta2 Release2 is very promising in speed and features.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:04 AM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

I had some time and installed it. One thing of note is it automatically imported my bookmarks from version 8. But I don't know what the heck to do with that widgets thing.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
dthomsen8

Default IE7 Beta2 Release2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
I have had Opera9 Build 8212 installled here for a couple of weeks, but have only used it for site checking, not for browsing, so I have not explored its Widgets etc.. It does show improvements over 8.xx in its handling of AJAX and embedded objects, which is the area for which I have been testing.

I still prefer FireFox - although IE7 Beta2 Release2 is very promising in speed and features.
How do these new browsers compare with CSS2 standards? Certainly there is plenty to complain about with IE6, but I would expect good results with Opera9.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
How do these new browsers compare with CSS2 standards? Certainly there is plenty to complain about with IE6, but I would expect good results with Opera9.
I have not tested Opera 9 except for my own sites, but have read elsewhere that it still has some quirks. IE7 is very good and have yet to spot a problem with CSS support, except on sites where IE hacks are in place. These sites tend to fall apart with IE7.

It would help all of us if IE7 were released today, as the rendering engine is in full release status. Unfortunately anyone using a system older than WinXP SP2 will not be able to use it. And, of course, webmasters who use older OSs won't be able to test with it, either.

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Old 04-22-2006, 04:27 PM   #6
iamback

Quote:
It would help all of us if IE7 were released today, as the rendering engine is in full release status. Unfortunately anyone using a system older than WinXP SP2 will not be able to use it. And, of course, webmasters who use older OSs won't be able to test with it, either.
Which describes me, of course. But the fact that it will only be available for WinXP SP2 and "higher" will serve to complicate our lives even more...

I'm just working on a JavaScript (yuk!) routine to do some browser sniffing - and I'm trying to expand it to at least detect IE7 (and higher).
(Now don't go and lecture me on browser sniffing and doing it with JS - I have my reasons... good ones or I wouldn't be struggling with JavaScript in the first place! Will post a test page as soon as I have it in reasonable shape - not yet (sigh).)

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:18 AM   #7
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
I'm just working on a JavaScript (yuk!) routine to do some browser sniffing - and I'm trying to expand it to at least detect IE7 (and higher).
OK I won't moan....

The only browsers I need to detect are IE versions, and rather than use JS I use IE conditional comments. See here.

Old 04-23-2006, 03:53 AM   #8
dthomsen8

Default Greater than test trap

Quote:
OK I won't moan....

The only browsers I need to detect are IE versions, and rather than use JS I use IE conditional comments. See here.
The difficulty with these IE conditional comments is that sometimes developers don't think ahead, and test for greater than 5.0, or greater than another version, without considering what happens in 7.0 and greater, because version 7 didn't exist when they wrote their test.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:14 AM   #9
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
The difficulty with these IE conditional comments is that sometimes developers don't think ahead, and test for greater than 5.0, or greater than another version, without considering what happens in 7.0 and greater, because version 7 didn't exist when they wrote their test.
Even worse are those people who have used IE hacks in their CSS, only to see (or not, if they don't test) their layout break with IE7.

Old 04-23-2006, 06:08 AM   #10
dthomsen8

Default Testing is essential

Quote:
Even worse are those people who have used IE hacks in their CSS, only to see (or not, if they don't test) their layout break with IE7.
True enough, testing is essential. However, some hacks were put in place well before IE 7 was available for testing, so I would think it would be better to make sure the hacks are for a specific range of IE versions, excluding IE7.

Maybe their layout works with IE7 without any hacks, maybe not, but no telling until it is tested. I suppose that somewhere people are discussing the degree of CSS2 compliance in IE7 beta, but I haven't tried to track that down. Somehow, I doubt that complete compliance will be achieved by Microsoft, but one can still hope for it.