DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #1
dthomsen8
Member
 
dthomsen8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA 19130
Posts: 2,158
Default House Photos Puzzle

A neighbor has given me 10 house photos from last year's neighborhood house tour, to be put on our web site as a way of featuring this year's house tour.

These photos look really good on the screen viewed with Paint Shop Pro 8, but I am puzzled as how to put them on the web site. These photos are either 300 pixels per inch or 230 pixels per inch JPG images. As an example, number 1256 is 56Kb, and 400x266 pixels, making it an indicated 1.33x0.883 inch picture. Number 1243 is 51Kb, 265x400 pixels, making it an indicated .883 x 1.33 inches.

So, do I put them in as-is, no Paint Shop Pro adjustments, and live with the sizes on the screens? Do I make them seem bigger by saying that the image is actually 800 x 532 pixels in the HTML? Do I resize them somehow in Paint Shop Pro?

I have done a lot of house photos, but this is the first time that I have this situation. Please give me some advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_0752 (2).JPG
Views:	179
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	521  

Last edited by dthomsen8; 04-12-2006 at 12:18 PM. Reason: add
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
Franca
Staff
 
Franca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Monterey Bay area, CA
Posts: 2,203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
These photos look really good on the screen viewed with Paint Shop Pro 8, but I am puzzled as how to put them on the web site. These photos are either 300 pixels per inch or 230 pixels per inch JPG images. As an example, number 1256 is 56Kb, and 400x266 pixels, making it an indicated 1.33x0.883 inch picture. Number 1243 is 51Kb, 265x400 pixels, making it an indicated .883 x 1.33 inches.
I'm not 100% certain what you're asking, but I do know that on a web site all you need be concerned about in terms of screen viewing size are the pixel dimensions. Inches and ppi are irrelevant for this purpose. The file sizes you quote don't seem to be a problem so I would put the photos up as is. I don't know what sort of page design you'll be using ... you can't make the images bigger without introducing ugliness, but really, the size looks fine to me - especially if all 10 photos will be going on the same page along with some descriptive text.

   
__________________
..
..Franca

..
Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
dthomsen8
Member
 
dthomsen8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA 19130
Posts: 2,158
Default Layout not decided yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
I'm not 100% certain what you're asking, but I do know that on a web site all you need be concerned about in terms of screen viewing size are the pixel dimensions. Inches and ppi are irrelevant for this purpose. The file sizes you quote don't seem to be a problem so I would put the photos up as is. I don't know what sort of page design you'll be using ... you can't make the images bigger without introducing ugliness, but really, the size looks fine to me - especially if all 10 photos will be going on the same page along with some descriptive text.
From what my neighbor told me, I expected quite a bit of descriptive text. Actually, she supplied one sentence per photo, none more than 16 words.

Pictures of only 1.33 inches wide are rather small, considering the subjects. Maybe I will put up some test photos with text to try it out before working on the production site. I have two web sites devoted to testing and learning CSS. Does the sample I supplied help you see my dilemma?

Last edited by dthomsen8; 04-12-2006 at 12:49 PM. Reason: add
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:57 PM   #4
Franca
Staff
 
Franca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Monterey Bay area, CA
Posts: 2,203
Default

Quote:
Pictures of only 1.33 inches wide are rather small, considering the subjects. Maybe I will put up some test photos with text to try it out before working on the production site. I have two web sites devoted to testing and learning CSS. Does the sample I supplied help you see my dilemma?
I looked at the sample and it looks like a nice size to me. I tried visualizing 9 more images of approximately the same size on a page and I don't think you'd want them any bigger (unless you were planning on devoting an entire page per photo or something) but you may be visualizing something completely different than I. In any case, your idea of using one of your test sites to dummy up a page is a good one.

   
__________________
..
..Franca

..
Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:38 AM   #5
donmcc
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sarnia, Canada
Posts: 1,122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
Pictures of only 1.33 inches wide are rather small, considering the subjects.
But that is the point ... it won't be 1.33 inches wide on the web. There is no dpi on the web. If the images are 400 pixels wide, they will be half the width of a monitor at 800x600 resolution and a third the width of the screen (about) if the resolution of the screen is 1280x960.
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:59 PM   #6
Franca
Staff
 
Franca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Monterey Bay area, CA
Posts: 2,203
Default

Quote:
But that is the point ... it won't be 1.33 inches wide on the web. There is no dpi on the web. If the images are 400 pixels wide, they will be half the width of a monitor at 800x600 resolution and a third the width of the screen (about) if the resolution of the screen is 1280x960.
You put that so much more clearly than I did, Don! It can be a tricky thing to get one's head around if one has always thought in terms of printing on paper.

   
__________________
..
..Franca

..
Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jigsaw puzzle effect in Photoshop marlene Images 11 07-10-2007 02:22 AM
Interesting word puzzle ktinkel On Language & Literature 28 03-15-2007 11:18 AM
Print out or in-house El Publishing Hombre Print Production & Automation 5 03-07-2006 02:07 PM
House-building tales ktinkel The Corner Pub 35 07-01-2005 04:45 PM
Three-horse jigsaw puzzle today! ktinkel The Corner Pub 1 05-03-2005 12:27 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.