DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2006, 12:07 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Looky — me & PHP . . .

I have been trying to set up a web site for republishing some of my old type and typography articles (the ones I retained rights to, anyway) and for some new work. I feel as if I have dithered over every approach, from plain old HTML (while “they” kept changing the standards and rules) to blogs (ick) and CMS programs (drove me nuts; too technie tricky for me).

Finally I decided to see what I could do by taming blogging software. So on April 10 I downloaded WordPress, signed up for a GoDaddy site (a trip in and of itself!) and set out to customize the software.

Today I have the shadow of a site to show you: Using Type (which was the name of my column in Personal Publishing magazine in the 1980s and 90s, and I always liked its no-nonsense style). No, David — so far no name and address. It will come; promise.

I really have excised a lot of PHP, nervously, but the site has not crashed and burned (though there are only two small placeholder articles so far, so it has hardly been stress-tested).

It has a serious semantic flaw that I will fix as soon as I figure out how. Because blogs are date-oriented, the date-line is styled H2 and the story title is H3; this is the opposite of my way of thinking.

It passes validation (both XHTML and CSS). The stylesheet is weird (everything just about backwards of my normal working style), but making radical changes did break stuff, so I decided to hold off. I did fix some validation problems, however.

I may get back to some of the more promising CMS software: TextPattern, Big Medium, even Joomla. But now I just want to be able to work on content.

Take a look if you can. Thanks.