DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Old 04-11-2006, 01:58 PM   #1
Franca
Staff

Default Incremental data backups

Now that USB flash drives hold multiple GB of data on them, is there any reason not to use these for incremental data backups prior to burning CD backups?

Any "issues" to be aware of? Any brands to beware of? There are so many out there now. I have been buying SanDisk because I've never had a problem with them. I'm told there are faster ones but they seem plenty fast to me and I'll take reliability over speed.

They are incredibly handy, not only in the office but on the road - much more convenient than CDs. Some of the newest ones also appear to have the capability of loading handy software like browsers, e-mail clients, and Skype and instant messaging apps (although I haven't quite worked out why one would want a flash drive to do that.)

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
imatt

Good idea to use a USB flash drive for incremental back ups. However, I'd only use them for temp storage. I think flash drives have a limited numbers of write and rewrite cycles. Mind you, I think it could be up to a million or so. Whether this varies from manufacturer to manufacturer or how much, I'm not sure.

I use a secondary 80gb internal HDD to hold my workfiles. Whenever I need to reinstall Windows XP, I can do so with my workfiles intact. I use also an external Seagate 40gb HDD for backup.

I also have a 512mb Lexar Jumpdrive USB flash drive as well as a 1gb Lexar Jumpdrive Sport AND a 2gb Sandisk model.....
imatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #3
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
Any "issues" to be aware of? Any brands to beware of? There are so many out there now. I have been buying SanDisk because I've never had a problem with them. I'm told there are faster ones but they seem plenty fast to me and I'll take reliability over speed.
Take a look through our discussion here of a couple of months ago. I recall somewhere in it we discussed the read/write cycles and brands.

Quote:
They are incredibly handy, not only in the office but on the road - much more convenient than CDs. Some of the newest ones also appear to have the capability of loading handy software like browsers, e-mail clients, and Skype and instant messaging apps (although I haven't quite worked out why one would want a flash drive to do that.)
I've never had reason to try it, but some people like to run their online apps from a flash drive, so they can easily transport email and browser bookmarks & history between work and home computers. Or so I've read.

Old 04-11-2006, 07:00 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

apps on flash drives?

Handy if you need to work on various computers, including other folks' ... if the s'ware runs from a flash drive and doesn't need a bunch of junk installed in the registry/system folder/yadayada, you just plug and go. Then unplug and go back. Take only data, leave only ... um ... nothing.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:48 PM   #5
iamback

Quote:
One good application for that is when you're on the road and need to use someone else's computer (like in an internet cafe) to get online: you get to use all your own apps, your own data with them (cheat sheets, email addresses, bookmarks...), and some email clients can be installed with access passwords so you don't need to type any on the foreign computer (no issues with key loggers). I'm considering setting up one for myself for just that reason.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:13 PM   #6
Franca
Staff

Aha - yes, it would be handy if one had to use someone else's computer. I haven't had to do that, but you just never know.... I may try setting up a couple flash drives with the essential online apps and a few other handy utilities I can think of that don't require "installation".

Old 04-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #7
gary

Quote:
... essential online apps and a few other handy utilities I can think of that don't require "installation".
Article: Portable apps for USB flash drives
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:25 PM   #8
Franca
Staff

Thanks! Very interesting!

Old 04-12-2006, 11:30 PM   #9
Bo Aakerstrom

And here you can find more! portable Nvu (HTML editor) and Mac-on-stick for all you Mac fans out there.

Old 04-13-2006, 02:55 AM   #10
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary
Ah, thanks - some really useful stuff in there - I knew about Firefox and Thunderbird, but XnView and FTP - that can help to make a USB stick a really handy site maintenance tool on the road

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote