DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Old 04-05-2006, 07:49 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default RAW Developer

RAW Developer from Iridient Digital is getting rave reviews from many photographers (including Andrew Rodney, former forum member and author of Color Management for Photographers).

Described as a RAW utility (for Mac OS X only) that offers drag-and-drop batch conversion of files from most popular models of digital cameras (and the Adobe DNG file format) to RAW format.

Iridient describes the conversion as covering “the demosaicing algorithms used for all cameras based on RGB color filters (which is nearly all of them), all color management operations, all other processing adjustments, sharpening, noise reduction and final file format conversion.”

The program, now at version 1.4.7, costs $100 U.S.; there is a free demo available at the web site.

Old 04-05-2006, 09:06 AM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Described as a RAW utility (for Mac OS X only) that offers drag-and-drop batch conversion of files from most popular models of digital cameras (and the Adobe DNG file format) to RAW format.
Am I reading this right? Conversion from non-RAW (that would be JPG in most cases) to RAW format? I don't even see how that would be technically possible, but it would be a very interesting capability, if so.

Last edited by ktinkel; 04-05-2006 at 11:19 AM. Reason: fixed quote
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:20 AM   #3
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
Quote:
Am I reading this right? Conversion from non-RAW (that would be JPG in most cases) to RAW format? I don't even see how that would be technically possible, but it would be a very interesting capability, if so.
It's not a miracle worker<G> It's another Raw processor. No swimming upstream.

Last edited by ktinkel; 04-05-2006 at 11:20 AM. Reason: fixed quoted quote
Cristen Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:55 AM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen Gillespie
It's not a miracle worker<G> It's another Raw processor. No swimming upstream.
I thought so - as I could not imagine this being technically possible. Pity though....

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:06 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
It was probably something confusing in the way I copied their claims. Sorry for any confusion.

Old 04-08-2006, 09:09 AM   #6
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
It was probably something confusing in the way I copied their claims. Sorry for any confusion.
Don't be sorry. It made us look. Never know otherwise when you're bypassing great software, and it still might be a darned good Raw converter. :-)