DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 04-04-2006, 01:37 PM   #1
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds
Default Cleaning cars

We are going for the ISO 14001 acreditation ( environmental) and one of the questions is - do u clean company vehicles on your premises - because if u do its illegal - in fact its illegal anywhere -except if the water drains into a filtered system and then goes down the foul sewer main - other wise all surface water in the UK from roofs and roads go virtually striaght into the river
Peter
We havent yet mentioned that we have a man with a van that comes and cleans our cars on Monday mornings!!!!

Last edited by terrie; 04-04-2006 at 02:06 PM. Reason: fix thread title
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:51 PM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Easily solved. Don't clean the vehicles. I think the dirt's the only thing holding my old Mazda together. Clean it? I don't dare.

Seriously, though, illegal? Really? Wouldn't it depend on what you're using to do the cleaning? If the detergent were biodegradeable, then what're you putting back into the river but some road dirt that would've washed into the same storm sewer eventually anyway. All you've done is given it a temporary stay of execution by drowning. And a nice ride around town.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Quote:
all surface water in the UK from roofs and roads go virtually striaght into the river
The water from the roof of my house goes into the sewer. I know, 'coz I'm the bloke who jets out the drain three times a year!
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:33 PM   #4
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

Yes Illegal
I had the Thames Water man come to look at us and wanted to names of men in vans to prosecute. They are concerned about oil, detergent etc - Of course now we now that it just goes into a settlement chamber and then in the river - we understand and se how important it is - As I said to them its about education
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:18 AM   #5
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterArnel
Yes Illegal
Just stand the van on a grass area, then the water will just soak into the soil.

Alternatively, buy a small chicken shed and park the vehicles next to it. Then wash the chicken shed with a hose but make sure you get lots of water on the vehicles at the same time.

Even when there are drought orders banning the use of hoses it's still legal to use a hose to wash out a chicken shed. So, if you get a portable one, you can take it home and wash it out every time the lawn needs watering!

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:11 AM   #6
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall
The water from the roof of my house goes into the sewer.
That's illegal here, and the council comes around every so often with sulphur bombs to check for illegal connections to the sewerage lines. Rainwater going into the sewerage system overloads the sewerage plants during times of high rainfall (we can get 12 inches in as many hours during cyclones and tropical low pressure systems, and during the storm season can get up to four inches in a very short time, such as an hour or two) which causes raw sewage to flow into rivers and creeks.

So our street gutters flow directly to the local creek. We are permitted to pipe roof water to the street gutters, but are now being encouraged to install rainwater tanks for use in toilets and on gardens.

Old 04-05-2006, 07:58 AM   #7
Michael Rowley

Ann:

Rainwater going into the sewerage system overloads the sewerage plants during times of high rainfall

Only if there's a single system of sewerage; but many European sytems have separate drainage for foul water and storm water. That's why the exact regulations have to be local rather than national.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:37 AM   #8
Richard Waller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
I think the dirt's the only thing holding my old Mazda together.
Prayers of the neighbours keep mine going; that it will not break down again in front of their houses.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:06 PM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

<G>

Reminder ... see if the Mazda will roll downhill and come to rest in front of the neighbors' place.

Dirt's good, dirt + prayers must be even better.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:44 PM   #10
Richard Waller

Actually, being by the sea here, salt spray is the biggest threat, and it really is a good idea to wash it off frequently before the rust sets in.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote