DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 04-02-2006, 08:25 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default US Daylight Saving Time

Today is the first day of US Daylight Saving Time, on the old schedule for 2006. In 2007, the US Congress has decreed in its wisdom that we will start about two weeks earlier, and end about two weeks later than this year. This is supposed to save energy, but there are doubters out there, too.

Anyway, I wonder if the operating system automatic change is going to be up to the Congressional mandate. At least the Windows 98SE tells me it make the time change and asks me to confirm it, but Windows XP Pro does it without notice. So, what is going to happen next year? I suspect we will have to put the time forward in the spring (end of winter???), and then correct for the automatic change a few weeks later.

Anybody know?
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:02 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
Anyway, I wonder if the operating system automatic change is going to be up to the Congressional mandate. At least the Windows 98SE tells me it make the time change and asks me to confirm it, but Windows XP Pro does it without notice. So, what is going to happen next year? I suspect we will have to put the time forward in the spring (end of winter???), and then correct for the automatic change a few weeks later.

Anybody know?
Not sure about Windows, but the Mac bases system times on the National Observatory or other standard-setter. My Mac today shows the correct (i.e., Daylight Saving) time.

However, for an unknown period of time, the server here did not. It appears to have been fixed now, but earlier this morning I found a one-hour discrepancy between my OS (and correct) time and the time stamped on a posting.

As for whether it is useful these days, who knows? I see that Indiana, the last (or at least one of the last) holdouts voted to adopt one time zone and DST so that the entire state is on one standard. There is still tension between urban and rural citizens, but now I guess the urbanites have won.

Old 04-02-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Not sure about Windows, but the Mac bases system times on the National Observatory or other standard-setter. My Mac today shows the correct (i.e., Daylight Saving) time.
Surely that will work only oif you actually have an internet connection. What does it do without that?

In Windows it's rather the other way round: you have a default setting where you can let Windows do its own thing (using a little internal database of where time changes are occurring when), or you can override that (at least in Win2000 and earlier). Then install a little time client app (lots of freeware and shareware around) to regularly check with a time server and your system time is always correct. Most of these apps come with a pre-configured list of time servers to choose from, or let you enter or add your own preference. I've used several over the years.

I use (CareWare) About Time these days - the handy thing is that it can function both as server (for other machines in your network: just add your main machine as a "host" there) and as client (to fetch time from a remote time server). So all machines keep the same time.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:20 AM   #4
jrabold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
I see that Indiana, the last (or at least one of the last) holdouts voted to adopt one time zone and DST so that the entire state is on one standard.
Not quite true. What happened, effective today, is that all counties in the state of Indiana are observing Daylight Time; that was not the case before. However, the state remains split between Eastern and Central Time ... that's not unusual; many states are. Most of the state observes Eastern Time (Standard or Daylight), and a few counties in the northwest and southwest corners of the state observe Central Time (Standard or Daylight).

That leaves two US states (Arizona and Hawaii) that do not observe Daylight Time (except that the Native American reservations in northeast Arizona DO observe it), plus some associated entities ... Puerto Rico and Guam come to mind.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:00 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
Surely that will work only oif you actually have an internet connection. What does it do without that?
I do not know, but I believe my Macs have always kept the right time, somehow. Assume computers can count, and they work it out that way. But actually do not know.

I just wish all the clocks in my house knew what time it is all the time. I know you can buy digital clocks today that do it, but we don’t have any, and we do have lots of gadgets with timers in them: microwave oven, radios, an X-10 controller, and battery-driven clocks in the kitchen, dining room, bedroom, shower, office, and so on. It takes us a couple of days to get them all fixed.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:01 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabold
However, the state remains split between Eastern and Central Time ...
Ah, I thought I had heard otherwise.

Well, two zones is more convenient than what they had before.

Old 04-02-2006, 12:20 PM   #7
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

The server here was out for me all day yesterday (Sunday) and only corrected itself at 6 p.m., which I think is 2 a.m. in the city where it resides.

We don't have daylight saving at all, and I am fortunate to be able to set the time on my computer to a time server somewhere in Asia that understands both this and that I am in the southern hemisphere. The time zones available here don't differentiate between Sydney and Guam.

The CIS server got it wrong all the time.

Old 04-02-2006, 03:06 PM   #8
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

The big debate here is in the early weeks when the mornings are darker - is that the KIds when they go to school are in the dark - and farmers when they milk cows have to get up a lot earlier
Peter
Two things - do u have milk in America ( as I only hear about beef herds and cannt imagine a cowboy sitting on a three legged stool milkiing a cow)
and do u eat Lamb- as I dont hear about shepherds
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 04:04 PM   #9
Michael Rowley

Ann:

that understands both this and that I am in the southern hemisphere

I don't understand that remark: the earth's rotation is still about a north-south axis, isn't it? (I do realize that time zones are not necessarily linked exactly to longitude.)

Old 04-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #10
Michael Rowley

Peter:

can't imagine a cowboy sitting on a three legged stool milkiing a cow

No one sits milking cows; it's all milking machines these days, and has been for years, and has been for years. Don't you look about you on this country estate of yours?