DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 04-02-2006, 12:04 AM   #1
iamback

Default Handy Firefox/Mozilla extensions for developers

Well, I had to install the latest Mozilla to (hopefully) overcome the weird JPG display problem.

Of course that meant I had to re-install all my extensions as well . The advantage is I got the latest versions of what I use - and found new ones as well.

Handy new ones for developers that I just found (new for me that is; of course the developer toolbar is indispensable, but hardly new):
  • X-Ray: toggle viewing the HTML tag of a page within the page. You can uickly see how a menu is buily, for instance (list, paragraphs, just links, table...); while it breaks the layout (of course) it can be easier than display source or display selected source in some cases
  • IE Tab: Display a page in IE within a tab. Lots of options. Looks very handy for testing though I haven't tried it yet.

More as I find them...

Update: Screenshot of IE Tab in action, showing context menu on a tab, and the toolbar button (available via the View menu) with its tooltip. Note the IE icon in the address bar and on the tab!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hsnap166.png
Views:	112
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	507  

Last edited by iamback; 04-02-2006 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Adding screenshot for IE Tab
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 01:53 AM   #2
Kelvyn
Staff

I should add that X-Ray for Firefox is here

I would not be without my WebDev toolbar - but I unistalled the IE display for FireFox because I hardly ever used it.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 04:40 AM   #3
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
I should add that X-Ray for Firefox is here
Thanks!

Quote:
I unistalled the IE display for FireFox because I hardly ever used it.
Are we talking about the same thing? This is IE Tab. Quote from their page:
Quote:
This extension is derived from the famous extension IE View, but they are quite different.
While IE View always open IE-only pages in newly launched windows of Internet Explorer, IE Tab can open them in tabs of Mozilla/Firefox.
Anyway, it looks very handy and flexible to me, especially since I frequently have to check layout in IE. (In fact, I'd appreciate the same for Opera as well - all testing in a single window, with just tabs! Probably not possible, but still...) You can also specify specific pages where it will automatically use IE, and much more.

Last edited by iamback; 04-02-2006 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:41 AM   #4
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
Are we talking abouty the same thing?
Yes, it sounds like it. Using the IE browser engine within a Firefox tabbed window. But I have not used this since FF1.0. However, I am now intrigued. Has this given you a way of testing with something that renders in the same way as IE6?

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:00 AM   #5
iamback

Quote:
Yes, it sounds like it. Using the IE browser engine within a Firefox tabbed window. But I have not used this since FF1.0. However, I am now intrigued. Has this given you a way of testing with something that renders in the same way as IE6?
It renders as what is installed on the machine your using it on because (obviously) it simply functions as a shell around the IE browser object. In my case, on Grace that's IE 5.01, and on Alan (where I still need to install it) that's IE 6.

When I am developing (or bugfixing, like now) I test routinely in Moz and IE5 (both on Grace); it's just very convenient to be able to open one, or several(!) web pages all in the same browser window on separate tabs, with both Moz and IE 5.01 (or I could have just one window for the lcoal development server and one window for the remote production server, and even display them side-by-side). An extra IE tab for the page you're looking at is literally just a mouseclick away. The alternative is to have one Moz window and several IE 5 windows, for the same functionality.

Whether that appeals to you, I guess, is dependent on just what your testing routine is. But I find it very handy.

And - although I haven't used it that way yet - for those cases where you really need IE as a browser (Windows Update, for instance) it effectively gives you tabbed browsing for IE, without installing yet another IE shell ("effectively", because although from IE you cannot choose to open a link in a new tab, when you pick "open in new window" it actually opens in a new tab!). And for those sites (some pre-installed) it can be completely automatic as well.

I have installed it mostly for testing, but it might also appeal to those who miss tabbed browsing when temporarily using IE but don't want to install (and learn) another browser shell.

BTW, the (optional) toolbar button I showed on my screen shot is complemented by an (always displayed) extra status bar field with a tiny icon indicating whether you're viewing via Moz/FF (FF icon) or IE (IE icon), with the same one-click functionality. All configurable. I'm really quite impressed with not only how well it functions but how well-designed it is.