DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 03-30-2006, 01:16 PM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Display Font?

Can you identify this display font, or at least come close?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spring.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	501  
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:47 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
Can you identify this display font, or at least come close?
It is a kind of wood type (i.e., the original font was made from wood and used only in large sizes, on posters and the like; from the 19th century).

I can’t seem to pin it down. Closest I have found is Emigre’s Council, but it is not quite the same.

Adobe has several woodtype styles, though none match your sample. But Mesquite, Juniper, and Ironwood are similarly narrow.

Old 04-01-2006, 05:05 AM   #3
dthomsen8

Default Free or Cheap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
It is a kind of wood type (i.e., the original font was made from wood and used only in large sizes, on posters and the like; from the 19th century).

I can’t seem to pin it down. Closest I have found is Emigre’s Council, but it is not quite the same.

Adobe has several woodtype styles, though none match your sample. But Mesquite, Juniper, and Ironwood are similarly narrow.
The wood fonts you mention have fairly stiff prices. Some of the free or cheap wood fonts that I find on the web are entirely too "woody" for my purposes.

Maybe you could tell me about a cheap or free font that has tall, rather bold letters. Meanwhile, I have used a scan of the original notice along with my own writing to produce a block clean-up notice.

I did poke around in Harold's fonts, but I did not find the kind of lettering I would like. He has a lot of free fonts, and some more for $5, my kind of price. $30 and up is too much for printing a few pole notices.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:29 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Maybe you could tell me about a cheap or free font that has tall, rather bold letters.
Have you considered Impact, which is one of the fonts that Microsoft included with some distributions of MSIE or Office?

It is not very ornamented (to the contrary), but is narrow and tall, and kind of forceful — I think it would work for your signs.

Or you could consider the free Kaffeesatz font discussed recently here. The boldest weight might work well.

Maybe I’ll have more ideas after I have my coffee!

Old 04-01-2006, 07:11 AM   #5
dthomsen8

Default Maybe Impact Font

Quote:
Have you considered Impact, which is one of the fonts that Microsoft included with some distributions of MSIE or Office?

It is not very ornamented (to the contrary), but is narrow and tall, and kind of forceful — I think it would work for your signs.

Or you could consider the free Kaffeesatz font discussed recently here. The boldest weight might work well.
Impact is a reasonable choice, not in any way ornamented, but with, well... IMPACT. Kaffeesatz is to peculiar for my use, pole notices of the cleanup.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:26 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Impact is a reasonable choice, not in any way ornamented, but with, well... IMPACT. Kaffeesatz is to peculiar for my use, pole notices of the cleanup.
Impact will work. I think if you used Kaffeesatz caps only, it would not be too peculiar.

Anyway, good luck with it. Hope everything gets all cleaned up!

By the way, if you like one of the Adobe wood types that I suggested and only need a few words, I would be glad to set the type for you and send you a jpeg to size.

Last edited by ktinkel; 04-01-2006 at 12:58 PM. Reason: fixed typo
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:06 AM   #7
iamback

Quote:
it would not be two peculiar.
Get yourself another cup of coffee!

<duck/>

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 12:57 PM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
Get yourself another cup of coffee!

<duck/>
Oh, urk. <g>

Old 04-27-2006, 04:04 AM   #9
dthomsen8

Default Emigre's Council

Quote:

Our neighborhood cleanup person says that it is Council. She should know, since she produces the flyer I posted. $39 is fairly steep, though, when I see some other wood fonts at under $20, and a few near $10.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:47 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Our neighborhood cleanup person says that it is Council. She should know, since she produces the flyer I posted. $39 is fairly steep, though, when I see some other wood fonts at under $20, and a few near $10.
Well, now you know.

Whether you need to worry about reproducing a cleanup notice precisely is of course a decision your group needs to make. But if they really insist on a particular typeface you do not have, it seems to me that they should buy the the font for you.