DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 03-30-2006, 12:21 AM   #1
Richard Waller

Default Gossip, not hardware

UK Daily Telegraph news today is that Bill Gates has postponed launch of the long promised new Vista operating system. And no one seems to care.

The growth is in fibre optic cable, camera phones, and sites like
http://www.flickr.com/ photo sharing
http://www.myspace.com/ gossip
http://suicidegirls.com/ more gossip, curious name

They say the human voice was developed, not for transfer of facts, but for gossip. Is electronics just pandering to the same demand?

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:21 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Waller
UK Daily Telegraph news today is that Bill Gates has postponed launch of the long promised new Vista operating system. And no one seems to care.

The growth is in fibre optic cable, camera phones …
To tell the truth, I think most users would be content to work as they are. Computers are very capable, quite speedy, and there is lots of useful software.

Most of what propels us to “upgrade” is incompatibilities between old stuff and new — it they didn’t change anything, for the most part we could make do nicely.

It’s not like a decade ago, when hints of a new QuarkXPress or Ventura Publisher could set off a frenzy. Now people just sigh and go about their business.

Last edited by ktinkel; 03-30-2006 at 08:04 AM. Reason: typo, dratted typo
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:30 AM   #3
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

I agree. Computers are fast enough for the vast majority of us, and all we want really are bug fixes and a gradual impovement in speed.

Do we really need to have the computer as the centre of our digital world? Watching a DVD through the monitor certainly isn't the relaxing experience I'm after.
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:08 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall
Do we really need to have the computer as the centre of our digital world? Watching a DVD through the monitor certainly isn't the relaxing experience I'm after.
Me neither!

And although it was great to lay out my own pages and set my own type, at least at first, as a designer I really miss the network of skilled pros who used to make my work better by taking care of the technical aspects of print production.

Oh, well — water under the bridge. Here we all are, and it’s not all bad, not by a long shot. But no palpitations for the next latest and greatest widget or program, either.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:52 AM   #5
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall
Media Center computing is starting to take off, fuelled by the introduction of large screen TV and now High Definition prgramme broadcasting. Vista (but not the minimal version) includes Media Center in the OS and also has the ability to handle HDTV. Add in the fact that the new low energy dual processor chips do not need cooling fans (so a PC media box can be less intrusive), Blue-ray will shortly be available to all and HD capacity continue to get cheaper - all of which may make next years PCs even more of a "must have". For those who can afford it.....

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote