DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 03-29-2006, 09:24 AM   #1
Linda Baldwin

Default .doc or .jpg on color laserjet?

I have a new client, owner of a rural hardware store. He wants me to make a flyer for him to inform their customers of the URL of their new web site and also of the open house they will have the following weekend. He wants one of my photos of the front of the store to take up the top third or half of an 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper. These flyers will be on the checkout desk, about 300 of them. He will be printing them on a HP Color Laserjet 4650n.

Question: Should I make the whole thing in Photoshop as a JPEG or create it in MS Word? Will there be any difference in quality? If I use Word, might I run into trouble if I use a font that is not on the computer that is being used to do the printing? This job will be done by his secretary at his office, so I was thinking maybe she would have a problem knowing what to do with a jpeg anyhow.

Thanks,
Linda
Linda Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:59 AM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

If you make the whole thing as a JPEG, it will be huge. But if you create it in Word and the client doesn't have the font you use, Word will substitute something else, and you have no control over that.

Another problem with sending Word files is that the layout will depend on the printer driver, and you could find that it looks very different from what you send, even dropping some text to a second page.

Conventional wisdom in such as case is to send an Acrobat file. If you don't have a full version of Acrobat or a PDF maker installed on your computer, there are some free PDF creators around the place, although the quality and readability (by computers) of their files can be variable.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
Michael Rowley

Ann:

I'd recommend a PDF file too, but mention that Adobe will create indivdual PDF documents on line. As far as I know, it's free.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

LInda
Send a test file with a pic in and get them to print a copy - its the only way
Peter
They may have set their printer up to draft !!!!!!!!!!!
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:47 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
linda: Should I make the whole thing in Photoshop as a JPEG or create it in MS Word?
Since you know he'll be printing them off on letter size paper, you could create the entire thing in Photoshop (I'm assuming you don't have a page layout program) as a letter size page. Save it as a .tif (or a high quality .jpg).

Then you can place the file in Word (oh gag...'-}})--I'm not sure how Word handles image files as to whether when you place them, they are sized correctly (letter-size in this case) and if not, then I would think that you could resize as needed...that's the way I have to do it in WordPerfect.

That way you don't need to worry about fonts and stuff...

A PDF would be the easiest approach (assuming he has Reader). I'd be happy to create the pdf file for you if you'd like--email me the Photoshop file (.tif, .psd or .jpg) and I'll do the pdf and email it to you...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote