DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2006, 09:00 AM   #1
Linda Baldwin

Default Who owns the code?

I'm sure this has been hashed over many times, but I'm going to ask again because I don't want to cheat a soon to be former client. Some of you may remember my client who sells hams. She left me a year ago to have a new site done by Christopher Newport College and paid them $2500 for the job. She didn't realize she was not paying for hosting or for a shopping cart. Fortunately for her, they did not get the job done by the promised date and she came back to me. I told her how to get her money back and she did. Also fortunately for her I did not trash the site I had written for her. I agreed to take her back for a monthly fee. I then saved her from wasting another $1300 on a bogus search engine optimizer. Well, she's at it again, says she has a web designer but he doesn't know anything about shopping carts. She wanted to know if she could just have him take over the site where it is. The answer is no because the account is in my name, readyhosting.com has been sold, and even if she opened a new account with the new readyhosting, they do not offer a free shopping cart. They are allowing existing Cart32 users to continue to do so. So I know I'm on firm ground there. She wants to know if her new "designer" could just copy and paste the site to some other ISP. I said that she could not because it is copyrighted. Am I correct here? She also wanted to know if she could have the pictures from the site. All except the logo are in the public domain apparently, so I told her that would be fine. However, I created the logo from a picture I took, so I told her that was also copyrighted and she could not have that. Am I correct here?

Thanks,
Linda
Linda Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote