DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 03-27-2006, 06:00 AM   #1
LoisWakeman
Staff

Default Email woes

Having finally got my internet access back, I now have an annoying problem with emails. Messages from just one of my colleagues (as far as I know - others may not have yelled so loud!) go missing randomly - she can ask for and get a delivery receipt, but the message disappears silently from the server and I never see it.

The web host has not been especially helpful, saying that it's probably my spam filters - but as they are only set to move messages to the junk folder and are always reviewed before I delete them, this is just silly.

She is in my trusted contacts list.

Any tips for where to look/what to try next? I don't have access to the mail server logs unfortunately.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:10 AM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman
Having finally got my internet access back, I now have an annoying problem with emails. Messages from just one of my colleagues (as far as I know - others may not have yelled so loud!) go missing randomly - she can ask for and get a delivery receipt, but the message disappears silently from the server and I never see it.(...)
Any tips for where to look/what to try next? I don't have access to the mail server logs unfortunately.
Try to get hold of her email and delivery receipt (when it does work) with full headers so you can see what goes where whan it does work at least. Not a solution but a place to start...

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:16 AM   #3
Michael Rowley

Lois:

You don't say who are the ISPs involved. Some UK providers regularly block messages from other providers (on the grounds that the latter have sent a lot of spam). My messages (sent via NTL) occasionally don't reach a colleague (receiving via Freeserve), although other colleagues get them.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:19 AM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

I had this problem when I was with my previous hosting company. My current one is a lot better, although I did end up asking them to remove the spam filters from one of my accounts when important e-mails were caught up and not delivered.

So I suggest you ask them what spam filters they're running, and to take them off your mail, at least for a month or so so you can monitor it yourself.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

AOL sometimes is a real pain and only allows emails if u are in the address book
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:38 PM   #6
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterArnel
AOL sometimes is a real pain and only allows emails if u are in the address book
My problem was just that the previous hosting company was incompetent. Notice that I am not mentioning their name.

Old 03-28-2006, 03:12 AM   #7
Kelvyn
Staff

Lois, I assume you mean mail to your domains which are hosted on Netcetera? In which case you really do need to check the mail log files. Can they not provide access, or provide a copy? What spam filter is used on the server - SpamAssasin or something else? Do you have access to the server spam filter configuration via control panel?

Do you have webmail access on those accounts? If so then, assuming you use POP3 rather then IMAP then set your email client to leave copied of mail on the server so that you can compare. If the mail shows on the server but not in your client program then the problem is at your end.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Last edited by Kelvyn; 03-28-2006 at 06:29 AM.
Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:17 AM   #8
Bo Aakerstrom

Check if the emails are going straight to the recipients spam folder, that happens on a regular basis on one of my accounts.
Bo Aakerstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:45 AM   #9
LoisWakeman
Staff

Kelvyn and eveyone else who replied: thanks for the tips. You've given me some useful ideas to follow up on.

I did get the receipts and they were delivered to the SMTP server: vanishing somewhere between there and my inbox.

The sender's domain should not be a problem: it is a blue chip company with its own IP addresses, from which I have never ever had any remotely dubious stuff: they have a pretty well-behaved workforce who never send round robins, jokes etc. (For which I am very grateful.)

The host say they do not run any filters other than using blacklists which I do not think will be a problem for the reasin noted above, especially as I get mails from other people in the same organisation. (Anyway, the sender should get a bounce message: I sometimes get them when I try to send using one of BT Internet's blacklisted pooled IPs.

Before I try anything else, I'll try leaving messages on the server to see if it's a bug in Outlook's rules processing (you don't need to tell me that I should use another client: I know, but migrating all my data would take years.)
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:31 AM   #10
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman
but migrating all my data would take years.)
Just a few minutes into Thunderbird.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote