DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2006, 07:01 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Font Questions

While fiddling with my new FCA site design, I tried changing fonts to get the text "Fairmount Civic Association" to fit in a certain space in a certain size.

It seemed to me that Arial, Tahoma, and Verdana, all sans serif fonts, would put the text up with different lengths. That did not seem to be the case, so I experimented further, including some playing around on fonts on my Win98SE computer that were not on the WinXP (yet). I was considering Gill Sans and Univers fonts as substitutes.

So, it seems to me that Arial and Tahoma produce the same length for the lower case alphabet, and Verdana is longer.

Question 1: Is there any way to judge how long a text will turn out to be in a particular size font, except by trying it?

Now I tried to import a Univers font from the Win98SE computer. In MS Word this font is called "Univers" but the file name might be is "univers-.ttf" and in the font settings in Windows 98 I have a variety of Univers fonts, but no way to connect them with the names I see in the font folder c:\windows\fonts on that computer.

Question 2: How can I connect a font name in the font settings with a file name in the font folder?

Question 3: How are the font names in MS Word connected, if at all, with the font names I put into HTML, either directly in <font> or in styles in CSS?

Question 4: Should I be concerned that perhaps MS Word will render fonts placed there for comparison differently from how a browser will render the same fonts from HTML?

Question 5: Should I be concerned that perhaps different browsers will render fonts differently from the same HTML?

Of course, maybe I will place the "Fairmount Civic Association" words in an image, but I am reluctant, the results are visually not as good, and search engines won't see the text.

Last edited by dthomsen8; 03-26-2006 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Add questions
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote