DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 03-21-2006, 12:31 PM   #1
iamback

Default Puzzled a bit...

Not that I mind - I'm just a little puzzled why I drew no reactions on my "Anno 1918" post in All about Fonts"?

Every time I see that lettering I'm really enjoying it - but maybe that's just me. Just to prod you all a little: does anyone know of a font that has that type of shape for the '8'? I don't think I've ever seen that elsewhere, but maybe it's just the architect's own design? Any ideas anyone?

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
Not that I mind - I'm just a little puzzled why I drew no reactions on my "Anno 1918" post in All about Fonts"?

Every time I see that lettering I'm really enjoying it - but maybe that's just me. Just to prod you all a little: does anyone know of a font that has that type of shape for the '8'? I don't think I've ever seen that elsewhere, but maybe it's just the architect's own design? Any ideas anyone?
I had trouble seeing it clearly against the stonework (and at that size) — and I am trying to get our income tax info gathered by Friday and decide what prescription plan I will sign up for when I move to Medicare next month, so am beginning to feel pressed for time.

I love found type, and take pictures whenever I find it.

That style of 8 is not common today, but it isn’t unique. If I get a chance later I will rummage around and see if I can point to other examples.

Old 03-21-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
Michael Rowley

KT:

That style of 8 is not common today, but it isn’t unique

It was used in Germany when someone burned the date of construction into the wooden arch over our neighbour's yard entrance; that was done in the 18th century.

Old 03-21-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
I had trouble seeing it clearly against the stonework (and at that size)
I'll make a better picture with my regular camera when I get the chance - at least I've now recorded at what time of teh day the light is good

Quote:
and I am trying to get our income tax info gathered by Friday and decide what prescription plan I will sign up for when I move to Medicare next month, so am beginning to feel pressed for time.
Far more important!

Quote:
I love found type, and take pictures whenever I find it.
I love it, too, but this forum is inspiring me to take pictures! I have a few others already, but on negative so they need to be scanned.

Quote:
That style of 8 is not common today, but it isn’t unique. If I get a chance later I will rummage around and see if I can point to other examples.
Fine - do you taxes and stuff first - but I'm curious!

Old 03-21-2006, 08:36 PM   #5
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
It was used in Germany when someone burned the date of construction into the wooden arch over our neighbour's yard entrance; that was done in the 18th century.
Hmm - 18th century Germany, interesting...