DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 03-17-2006, 07:40 AM   #1
Bo Aakerstrom

Default Navigation & CSS

I have noticed that most tutorials about how create navbars use a list as a starting point, I have only found one that doesn't.

Is there a reason for this, other than convention?

I was thinking that perhaps screen readers would pick up on the fact that it is a list, instead on text with a link.

Just want to know before I get into bad habits...
Bo Aakerstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:44 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Aakerstrom
I have noticed that most tutorials about how create navbars use a list as a starting point, I have only found one that doesn't.

You raise an interesting question. I used to make a horizontal navigational bar by typing the links separated by vertical rules or using background and border. But Ian suggested using a list, and sent me to AListApart, which started out by saying that what is a menu, after all, but a list.

I have been using unordered lists ever since. But I am not sure that there is a usability hit if you don’t, and it is sometimes ever so much easier to code some other way.

One thing about a list: it implies a collection of related items, which a string of Paragraphs does not. That could have an effect on screen readers.

I look forward to hearing a better rationale for this myself.

Old 03-17-2006, 04:20 PM   #3
iamback

Quote:

I was thinking that perhaps screen readers would pick up on the fact that it is a list, instead on text with a link.
Logically, a menu is a "list of choices" that's why it's generally accepted that structurally a list is the best structural markup to create a menu. Also makes sense when CSS is turned off. So it has fast been becoming a convention.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:38 AM   #4
Bo Aakerstrom

As long as there are no adverse things happening it screen readers etc. it is still safe to use CSS to style ordinary links as long as the style sheet is active (if that's the right word) if I understand this correctly. But (there is always a but) for the sake of "graceful degradation" it is generally better to use a list?

What type of list is the one to use? Un-ordered or definition lists are the ones I've seen used.
Bo Aakerstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:55 AM   #5
jrabold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
The <ul> and <li> tags are convenient for doing styles.
I think menus are lists, so should be coded that way. I have run into one drawback. In one case my menu was a hierarchical list, and I wanted to style the list item corresponding to the current page. But styling applied to that list item also affected the items below it in the hierarchy (because any <li> ... </li> fully contains any <ul> ... </ul> below it). That prevented me from changing the background. I resorted to changing the link text appearance only, by enclosing it in a span.

Old 03-18-2006, 09:51 AM   #6
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
What type of list is the one to use? Un-ordered or definition lists are the ones I've seen used.
I prefer to use an unordered list, and if written correctly, this will degrade to a readable/useable link list without CSS.

For a good collection of CSS menus see Stu Nicholls CSS Play site.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Last edited by Kelvyn; 03-18-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:36 PM   #7
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)

Bo,

Good answers already. Only other common way I've seen is using <p> tags or tables, but while either of those will work using <ul> and <li> has more semantic meaning to a text screen reader.

One advantage of using a table is if you want a horizontal top menu; if the CSS is disabled, it turns into a bullet list instead of a horizontal list. Still works, though, and I've been trying to get away from tables for layout (though in a broad sense, a set of <td> tags for navigation is kind of a data table).

Old 03-18-2006, 08:53 PM   #8
dthomsen8

Default Lists with CSS for Navigation

Quote:

Just want to know before I get into bad habits...
The <ul> and <li> tags are convenient for doing styles. The bullets can be changed or dropped, the underlining of links can be changed, and the usual font specifications can be made.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:29 AM   #9
dthomsen8

Default By ID rather than tag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabold
I think menus are lists, so should be coded that way. I have run into one drawback. In one case my menu was a hierarchical list, and I wanted to style the list item corresponding to the current page.

But styling applied to that list item also affected the items below it in the hierarchy (because any <li> ... </li> fully contains any <ul> ... </ul> below it). That prevented me from changing the background. I resorted to changing the link text appearance only, by enclosing it in a span.
What about styling with an ID on each level, rather than by the <ul> and <li> tags? That is:

Code:
 <ul id="firstul"> 
<li id="firstli>

<ul id="secondul"> 
		<li id="secondli>
  <!--- second level of list here, followed by closing tags --->
That would allow you to style both levels.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:53 AM   #10
jrabold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
What about styling with an ID on each level, rather than by the <ul> and <li> tags?
I think I tried that, or a variation on it, and found that it still did not work the way I wanted it. I don't have time today to experiment with it.