DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 03-14-2006, 05:51 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Painter IX.5 Released

Well, if none of the Painter folks here are going to mention it, I guess I will. Corel is offering a .5 upgrade, free for registered users of Painter 9. And even better than it being free, they didn't add half a finger to the hand on the box cover art. <whew!>

BTW, this release includes some new features, so if you like Painter, check it out. Or don't. Up to you.

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...=1047022985433

Last edited by Andrew B.; 03-14-2006 at 07:45 PM.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:04 AM   #2
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
Well, if none of the Painter folks here are going to mention it, I guess I will. Corel is offering a .5 upgrade, free for registered users of Painter 9. And even better than it being free, they didn't add half a finger to the hand on the box cover art. <whew!>
ROFL. Also be advised that they didn't upgrade their Help at the same time, so you're pretty much on your own trying to figure out what's what.

Old 03-15-2006, 03:15 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Thanks Andrew...I kept meaning to post the notice about it and forgot...

If you like Britney Spears, then with this Painter update, you'll get to see her every time you open Painter...oh joy! ugh...'-}}

The big new deal is Auto-Paint...you too can paint a portrait even if you have no talent or taste...just try Auto-Paint...'-}}

Basically, this is an update to the old autoclone which pretty much produced ugly, crappy output. Auto-Paint has more flexibility with adjustable sliders and brushes. It can be used (so far as I've tested) with pretty much any painter brush...

There is also a new feature when Painter decides its had enough and wants to close itself down. A window appears asking if you'd like to file a report on the problem and also it will supposedly create a recovery file. So far in my experience, no recovery file created is actually open-able but hey! at least they thought about the idea...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:54 PM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
Auto-Paint has more flexibility with adjustable sliders and brushes. It can be used (so far as I've tested) with pretty much any painter brush...
Does Auto-Paint do any better than Gertrudis Pro?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:13 PM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

Just thinking. I wonder if Corel is the first to combine Roman and Arabic numerals to represent a number (IX.5).
Old 03-16-2006, 06:25 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Just thinking. I wonder if Corel is the first to combine Roman and Arabic numerals to represent a number (IX.5).
Not sure.

But it is clear that the move to Roman numerals for versions causes little stylistic headaches. For the Mac, we are left with OS X (10.4.n), which is just silly. One can leave out the X, of course.

Old 03-17-2006, 08:51 AM   #7
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Does Auto-Paint do any better than Gertrudis Pro?
I tried Gertrudis Pro. I think "better" is comparing apples to zucchini, or something like that. Gertrudis lets you control where you paint with what brush, although at least with the demo, the brushes seem somewhat limited if you compare them to the huge number of Painter brushes. However, when Painter "auto" paints, it really means auto. You push a GO button and a Stop button. That's basically all the control you have over the brushwork itself, even though you can manipulate several of the qualities of the brush. You don't "handle" the brush, deciding for yourself where to lay down the brushwork.

With Gertrudis, you decide where to paint with what brush, manipulate color (hue/sat/lightness), as well as size. So Gertrudis is closer to, say, PhotoArtMaster that way, and its brushes seem to mimic more types of media than I find PAM easily does (PAM really seems to be mostly a watercolor look). I don't know about their new ArtMaster--no upgrade from PAM and the size of the download is significant on dialup.

Gertrudis makes the whole painting with minimal effort on your part, but a lot more control. I think Painter's auto-feature might be good for quickly blocking in color in a given medium, and maybe you could get a whole auto painting out of it if your image lends itself well to that, with a lot of starting and stopping (and layers, the way Terrie used it), but for real control, you'd want to switch to manual paint or manual clone to finish the image.

Old 03-17-2006, 12:10 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: Does Auto-Paint do any better than Gertrudis Pro?
Yes...it is more sophisticated and flexible...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:07 PM   #9
Andrew B.
Staff

I'm trying to compare one very narrow area, which is using an automated or semi-automated tool to add painterly effects to a photo. This is where Gertrudis lives. But now Corel is touting Painter as a tool that can convert photos to a natural media feel. And I don't doubt that it can, in the hands of an artist. But from what you say, it seems like Gertrudis is still the better choice for automated conversion of photos.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:51 AM   #10
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
I'm trying to compare one very narrow area, which is using an automated or semi-automated tool to add painterly effects to a photo. This is where Gertrudis lives. But now Corel is touting Painter as a tool that can convert photos to a natural media feel. And I don't doubt that it can, in the hands of an artist. But from what you say, it seems like Gertrudis is still the better choice for automated conversion of photos.
You use a variety of filters, layers and techniques so well, you're practically there. I find it difficult to imagine you relinquishing control at the end of that process. I'm sure with a lot of work, Painter can be tamed--but it inherently can't be controlled. Gertrudis Pro begins with the assumption that you are going to control the effect directly. So yes, I think if you have Gertrudis Pro, you're not going necessarily want to pay the upgrade on Painter to get their auto painting feature. It's a very nice "free" addition, and I'm sure I'll play with it off and on and see if I can't eventually use it as part of my workflow. But if you really wanted to spend a lot of money (more than you've spent on Gertrudis), on painting assistance (how's that for a definition of what you're getting<G>), I'd probably say go with PhotoArtMaster--again because you really control what goes where.