DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 03-14-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
Bo Aakerstrom

Default Please, could you check what this looks like?

Finally done!

My wife's web site is finished. I know what it looks like on a PC in MSIE 6, Opera 8.52 and FF 1.5, but haven't got access to a Mac or any older browsers.

PS The double spaces between scentences is her idea, but as you know, the boss is always right... DS

Here's the link to it!

Last edited by Bo Aakerstrom; 03-14-2006 at 02:47 PM.
Bo Aakerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Can you please post the address?

Thanks.

Old 03-14-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
Bo Aakerstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
Can you please post the address?

Thanks.
There is a link to the site now, honest!
Sorry about that.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:19 PM   #4
Richard Waller

Nice one.

- you might like to use a form instead of quoting your Email address. The spam will be troublesome.

- too many changes of colour and font perhaps.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:56 AM   #5
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Aakerstrom
My wife's web site is finished. I know what it looks like on a PC in MSIE 6, Opera 8.52 and FF 1.5, but haven't got access to a Mac or any older browsers.

PS The double spaces between scentences is her idea, but as you know, the boss is always right... DS

Here's the link to it!
Well done - valid XHTML, and styled with CSS! You've made a lot of progress in a short time!

Unfortunately the CSS has some errors (not only the moz-specific stuff which I doubt you need anyway), and a ton of warnings - most worrying for me are the many "Same colors for color and background-color". I'd suggest you have a close look at those (my mantra: warnings are lurking bugs!).

A few other notes:

I agree with Dick that it would be wise to use a contact form instead of an email address - as it is you'll soon get tons of spam rendering the address unusable.

Another suggestion: use proper hyperlinks.
For instance on the home page you have two links "Read more..." that are unnecessary: you could link the heading to the page (so there will be two different links!) and if you really want a link at the end of the intro paragraph, make sure they have different, meaningful link texts. Some people navigate from a link list, so link descriptions should be meaningful by themselves.
Another case on the About page, where you have: "Clef is an artist in her own right (click here to find out more...), but (...)". That Click here... is completely unnecessary - just make "Clef is an artist in her own right" into the link! Also, that link should lead to the relevant portion of the music page - you now have to scroll way down to see that there is indeed something about "Clef". So add fragment ids to the headings on that page (<h3 id="clef">Clef</h3>), and you can link to "music.html#clef" instead of just "music.html".

A hint: you don't need to write headings as all caps - you can write them normally capitalized and style them as all caps, all lowercase, or whatever you prefer.

Finally a small thing: I see lots and lots of empty paragraphs. Don't do that! If you need vertical whitespace, just use CSS to give an element a (larger) top margin. Except in very rare cases, you don't need any line breaks either - certainly not between block elements like headings as a block automatically starts on a new line; again: just use margins to control vertical whitespace if needed.

Last edited by iamback; 03-15-2006 at 10:04 AM. Reason: do -> don't (duh)
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:11 AM   #6
dthomsen8

Default Maybe use TIDY?

Quote:
There is a link to the site now, honest!
Sorry about that.
Your HTML is so dense that I quickly gave up trying to read it.

Maybe you could try using TIDY (see www.w3.org) on your HTML, out of consideration for yourself and maybe someone else who might need to read the code in the future.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:29 AM   #7
Bo Aakerstrom

Thank's all for the comments!

I've printed out all those warnings and will go through them with a finetooth comb - I realize there are some things that possibly will remain as warnings after I'm finished tidying things up. For example, if I want text on top of a background image I can't declare a background colour to the text - or can I?

The moz-specific stuff is added by Nvu's CSS editor, but I'll remove that from now on, BTW, I have reported that as a bug on the Nvu forum.

Regarding forms: I really need to learn about using forms - it'll be the next thing on my agenda.

I didn't know how to link to an anchor on a different page, thanks for pointing that out!

I shall/will find a way for the boss to get the body copy done that will not entail me going through it all to remove all those carriage returns! Perhaps a HTML email will do the trick?

At least the site is working better than it was and that's a result, even if there are plenty of things to put right...

Unfortunatley, Nvu makes the code a bit hard to read as it compresses the whole lot, I can see myself moving away from using it as I currently do, as I learn more about what I do.

I am using the PHP Editor's snippets function more and more, perhaps building up a library of often used bits of code is an answer. It has got syntax highlighting for HTML and CSS among other things.

In an ideal world I should be able to answer the question "How many languages do you speak fluently?" with 3 - Swedish, English and XHTML! I can't see that happening though...
Old 03-15-2006, 11:15 AM   #8
iamback

Quote:
I've printed out all those warnings and will go through them with a finetooth comb - I realize there are some things that possibly will remain as warnings after I'm finished tidying things up. For example, if I want text on top of a background image I can't declare a background colour to the text - or can I?
It's always good to check warnings - even if you decide they don't indicate a real problem; but then that is a conscious decision!

Background-color can be set to other things than a color, actually; the initial value is 'transparent' (the background of whatever it's sitting on shines through); you can of course assign it a color; or you can define it as 'inherit' which means it gets the color or its parent element (not necessarily what its sitting on!). But you need to be careful with images as a background: if you do not define a background color, then for visitors who do not load images, the effective value will be 'transparent', so whatever it's sitting on will shine through.

This implies that for backgrounds you always need to consider the page without any images shown, and make sure you define enough that the text is legible. In practice, consider the overall color of a background image, and set that as the background color property. (And if I got a Euro for every site I encounter that doesn't define the background color of the body, I probably would not need to look for a job.)

Quote:
The moz-specific stuff is added by Nvu's CSS editor, but I'll remove that from now on, BTW, I have reported that as a bug on the Nvu forum.
I understand technically it's possible (valid) to have such browser-specific properties; but at least it should be an option in the program. (I'm not sure if there needs to be a special declaration that there are such extra properties - but I've never looked closely at that since I keep as far away from browser-specific stuff as I can.)

Quote:
Unfortunatley, Nvu makes the code a bit hard to read as it compresses the whole lot, I can see myself moving away from using it as I currently do, as I learn more about what I do.
Another one for the wish-list: there should be an option to not compress so the code is legible. But it's obvious it's a good learning tool and as such very valuable!

Quote:
In an ideal world I should be able to answer the question "How many languages do you speak fluently?" with 3 - Swedish, English and XHTML! I can't see that happening though...
But you can already do the grocery shopping in XHTML

Old 03-16-2006, 02:12 AM   #9
Bo Aakerstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
But you can already do the grocery shopping in XHTML
I can do my shopping in CSS:

.peas {pack-property: plastic:
pack-weight: 500g
href: (url: frozen-foods/vegetables);
visibility: visible;
color: green;
clear: carrots;
}
Old 03-16-2006, 10:03 AM   #10
iamback

Quote:
I can do my shopping in CSS:

.peas {pack-property: plastic:
pack-weight: 500g
href: (url: frozen-foods/vegetables);
visibility: visible;
color: green;
clear: carrots;
}
Well done; next time bring some invisible peas though!

<duck/>