DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 01-24-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Exposure - new photo effects filter

Alien Skin just released a new photo effects plugin called Exposure. Despite its name, the plugin is not for adjusting exposure. It is for color and monochrome effects, such as simulation of black and white, various film stocks, cross process, duotone, sepia, old film, and more. It comes with a slew of presets, but it also allows the user manual control over color to mono, color, contrast, saturation, cool/warm, grain, sharpness, and softness.

The interface is well designed, and better than many others. Most appreciated is that the presets do not require the user to use a popdown or file navigator to find them. They are in a scrollable list in one of the panels.

Also interesting is the integrated Curves adjustment, complete with eyedroppers. But it doesn't strand people who are overwhelmed by Curves. There are simple sliders on the Curves interface that can be used instead.

Exposure costs $199. If you own other Alien Skin products, the cost is $99.

http://www.alienskin.com/exposure/index.html
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
Cristen Gillespie

> Most appreciated is that the presets do not require the user to use a popdown or file navigator to find them. They are in a scrollable list in one of the panels.

I've been trying it out. Exposure is really a nice plugin. It's not that I can't duplicate these effects just with Photoshop, but the list of presets makes it easy to get a nice start on an effect with a particular image. And then moving on to the rest of the panels makes it easy to tweak the starting point to something that really works for the image. In Photoshop, you pretty much need to pre-visualize the effect you want or you'll be throwing on layers and yanking on curves for just about an eternity.

And these create excellent traditional darkroom prints, better, I think, than Nik ColorEffex, which does a lot of other things, but not this particular look so well. I thought at first they would be directly competing, but they're not.

Which means making choices or not saving money since just one won't quite cover everything.<G>

One thing I did notice is you're better off starting with a good, corrected image than trying to "cover up" a poor image with an effect. If you have a good image to start with, you can get some stunning darkroom results pretty easily and intuitively.

I would like a few changes, mind. I don't like the way it opens with the image at 100%. I'd prefer fit in view for choosing a preset, and then I could zoom. I also wish that it held an updated "before" instead of the original image. If I pick a preset and then work with the other panels, I want to see how a new setting affects the image, not how the combined settings affect the original.

I also found grain settings and blur were a bit difficult to set, at least compared to using Grain Surgery, but that could be simply a matter of getting used to the sliders' response.

Old 03-01-2006, 06:36 AM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen Gillespie
Which means making choices or not saving money since just one won't quite cover everything.<G>
Not to mention future plugins. http://thepluginsite.com/products/ph...yler/index.htm
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:07 AM   #4
Cristen Gillespie

Split toning too. This is going to make it even more difficult. The previews sure look nice. I guess I'll wait at least until this gets released.